VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

what does the EPC light mean that come on in the dash

It means you have a fault in your Electronic Power Control circuit, meaning either the accelerator pedal or throttle body. You'll need a scan tool, preferably VW/Audi-specific to find out what the actual DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is.
I noticed that you said the you live far away from a dealership. You do have the option of buying a scan tool that allows you to communicate with all of the systems in your car. Even if you don't do a lot of the work yourself, it's oftentimes very beneficial to be armed with the fault information so that you're not steered wrong.

It's not the cheapest thing int he world, but there is no better solution for VW/Audi

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCHUC&Category_Code=VAGCOM

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is this something that some injector cleaner will take care of or I'm I looking at a major problem?
Unfortunately, no. There's an electrical issue somewhere, either with the throttle body itself or with the throttle pedal assembly.