Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

dtc code p2181 on my 2003 jetta, what is this

Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.

Nyarod,

Most likely it's a faulty thermostat, especially if your temperature doesn't warm up to operating temp right in the middle of the guage within 2 - 3 miles of beginning to drive and stay in the middle at all times for the rest of the drive.

Also check the temp sensor in the coolant flange on the side of the cylinder head. If it's black or green with a yellow dot replace it as they are a known issue and have an extremely high failure rate.

99% of the time it's the thermostat though.

If I've helped please remember to hit accept so the site will compensate me and if you have any other questions let me know.

Danny

Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.
I will clarify there are green sensors but they don't have a yellow dot and those don't really have problems.