vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

2001 jetta glx: vr6..wont turn over and start.

Customer Question

2001 jetta glx vr6 got a new diehard battery at sears one week ago today. wont turn over and start. cranks and cranks but no start. The weather here has been extremely cold 0 degrees with wind chills - 15 to -24. The car sits on the street in front of my house. I need my car to start, Help! please!
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.
Sboltz,

Any VW will throw the oil pressure light after cranking with no start due to the fact that it doesn't build enough pressure while cranking. I don't think it has anything to do with the battery since you are cranking no problem. There are a few things that can cause this such as a faulty coolant temperature sensor, another thing we see this time of year is rodents find the engine to be warm, go in there, and build a nest. Try turning it over with the throttle held down to see if you can get it to start that way. Also try disconnecting the maf. Check for disconnected vacuum lines or signs of rodent damage.

Danny
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
tried tthrottleing while cranking and no real difference. whats the maf?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
tried tthrottleing while cranking and no real difference. whats the maf? and
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
tried tthrottleing while cranking and no real difference. whats the maf? and is a
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
and is a coolant temp sensor a big expensive deal to do if that is it?
Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.
The maf is on the air filter housing, it's got a large connector going to it, just disconnect the electrical connector and see if it will start. Was the check engine light on previously?

The coolant temp sensor is on the front edge of the engine in the coolant flange, you usually have to remove the hook for hoisting the engine out to replace the sensor. Sometimes your coolant flange has a dummy plug in it for vehicles that don't have that many sensors and you can just remove the dummy plug, install the new sensor, and put the connector onto it leaving the old sensor in place. The reason for this is that it isn't very easy to remove the hoisting hook from the motor. The sensor itself is like $40 plus you'll need coolant which is $25.

Danny
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have an autotech cold air intake . i think i know what you mean though. no the cel was not on previously, but was on because the key was on accessory mode and the car hasnt started yet. just had the car towed to VW dealer but its been there since 11 am and no word yet. I think theyre busy today.