VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2002 vw beetle 2.0l gas starts then dies

12/14/2008
vwbugman
vwbugman, VW Technician
Customer

You have an issue with your immobizer system. Do you have a second key to try in the car? Does your driver door panel light come on when you open the door?
Yes the door panel light comes on. do not have another key at this time
Let's try a couple of things.

1. lock the car.
  2. Open the rear trunk with the key. Now open the car with the key and try to start it with the hood open.
If that doesn't work, lock the car and open it with the key (not the remote) and try to start it.

Lastly, remove the battery cables from the battery. let it sit for a couple of minutes. Touch the 2 cables together. This will discharge the system. Hold the cables together for 30 seconds. Reattach the cables and try to start.

Let me know the results.
vwbugman
vwbugman, VW Technician
I appreciate the accept. When you replaced the battery, you must have reset the immobilizer. You said it would start and die. that didn't indicate the battery. A bad battery and it shouldn't have even started. It basically did the same thing as the other option I gave which was disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together to clear the system. Don't accept this reply because you will be charged again. I'm just glad you got it going. Good luck and happy holidays.
vwbugman
vwbugman
vwbugman, VW Technician