Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

2002 VW Jetta: stereo..I checked all the fuses and they are all OK

Customer Question

2002 VW Jetta Monsoon stereo will not turn on and no "safe" message on screen. I checked all the fuses and they are all OK. DO I need to go to dealer for a fix or is there something I can do myself?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.
Lifesaver,

Some of the monsoon stereos had an issue with the software coding in them that causes them to fail after a certain amount of time. You need to remove and then reinstall the radio fuse and is should start working again. It's fuse 42 which is a 25 amp fuse the third from the bottom on the right most row going vertically.

If this doesn't work then check to make sure you're getting voltage on both sides of that fuse and if you have voltage your radio has failed and you should go to a stereo store and buy an aftermarket radio. The VW factory radio is $700 from the dealer and since they fail a lot it's better in the long run not to try to buy one used.

Danny
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for the help. I'll try that now.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OUTSTANDING! Thanks so much! Just taking the fuse out and putting it back in worked!
Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.

It will happen again, don't know if it will be a week, month, or a year but just repeat the process to fix it. Glad to help.

Danny