VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Trunk wont open with key is there a way to manually open trunk

Customer Question
and the driver door button...
Trunk wont open with key is there a way to manually open trunk and the driver door button does not work either to open trunk. Also, does the 2002 Jetta have a separate trunk key or does the ignition key unlock the trunk.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: VW
11/22/2008
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Ellis,

The ignition key will open the trunk unless it's the valet key (which is a normal flat key with no alarm buttons and has a wrench on it). If you cannot open the trunk, with your key you'll have to climb into the trunk through the back seat with a flash light and remove the trim panel on the trunk (there's two screws hidden in there and then it just pops off). After you remove the trim then you can manually open the trunk.

Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
what are the possible problems why the driver side door latch for trunk does not work but the gas latch does?
why wont the driver door trunk release latch wont work? My Valet Key is Black with VW emblem and the key part has a small teardrop looking shape at top that is black. Last question is how much does a trunk key cost?
Do you have the lock cylinder next to the buttons locked? If so that is why. If not then it sounds like there's something wrong with the trunk assembly. Either the unlock solenoid is faulty or part of the mechanism for the lock cylinder is frozen. You could also have a faulty latch.

Danny
You still have access to this thread?
You can get a non valet key at the dealership only because your car has an immobiliser chip in the key. The dealer is the only one who can program this to your car.

Danny

last question, any thought why the trunk latch does not work but the gas cap latch does.

When I press the latch i can hear a clicking noise but trunk does not open.

Some part of the mechanism is either disconnected or frozen solid. I've seen the lock assembly mechanism corrode and get stiff so it won't allow the trunk to open. I've also seen the latch fail.

Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic