VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2006 Passat 2.0t EPB // 02433 - Supply Voltage for Right Parking Brake Motor (V283)

Customer Question
Replaced rear pads/rotors. Forgot to...
Replaced rear pads/rotors. Forgot to reconnect the right EPB clip before closing calipers with a Ross-Tech VagCom.

Address 53: Parking Brake Labels: 3C0-907-801-53.lbl
Part No SW: 3C0 907 801 B    HW: 3C0 907 801 B
Component: EPB VC8HC001   013 0001
Revision: 013
Coding:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Shop #: WSC(NNN) NNN-NNNN2097151

2 Faults Found:
02433 - Supply Voltage for Right Parking Brake Motor (V283)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101100
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 3
Reset counter: 206
Mileage: 127296 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2008.11.17
Time: 21:41:38
Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 12.73 V
Count: 87

01087- Basic Setting Not Performed
000 - - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 206
Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 13.87 V
Count: 170

Cleared Basic Setting code via terminal 30 reset. Cant fix the 02433-Supply Voltage code, flashing red "brake" on the dash & EPB button.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: VW
11/17/2008
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Customer

I would do a capacitive discharge (disconnect the negative cable and touch it to the positive terminal using a screwdriver or extension). Then I would clear fault codes, retracting the calipers like you're doing the brake job again followed by basic setting the calipers. Let me know if this works. The rear caliper system can be difficult on these Passats I spent 2 hours on my first one because I was having similar problems as you.

Danny

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T

Already Tried:
I am using a http://www.ross-tech.com Vag-Com tool. Below is the info provided in my most recent scan. I can provided the entire scan if needed.

VCDS Version: Release 805.1 Data version: 20080823
Monday,17,November,2008,00:44:59:09283
Chassis Type: 3C0
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 1C 25 42 44 46 52 53 56 62 65 72     
VIN: WVWAK73C36P048069
======================
Below are the links I found most of my info from. The last link refers to a software upgrade but I am not sure if this has been done. The car was purchased with 50k and now has 78k miles on it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3865092

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php?title=VW_Passat_%283C%29_Parking_Brake&oldid=3795

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3930489

http://www.geocities.com/nfe100/Technical_Bulletins/2008.07.31_Elec_Brake_doesnt_respond_warn_light_on.pdf

http://www.geocities.com/nfe100/Technical_Bulletins/2007.05.15_update_program_Elc_park_brake.pdf

Danny,

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX quick reply. That is what I did, used an open end wrench to connect the terminals after the battery was disconnected for 30min. It was the only way I could get the basic settings code to clear, but it did not do anything for the other one. As soon as I plugged the battery back in and put the key in, the EPB light and "brake" light on the dash started blinking. It will not let me clear that code. The right "passenger side" EPB does not seem to respond to anything I do.

Greg

toll free: XXX-XXX-XXXX ext. 201

cell: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Unfortunately I can't take your phone number. You aren't doing anything wrong. The system is wierd. The software update has to do with the epb and brakes light flashing on the dash after software updates. Are your brake failing to adapt, is the vehicle driveable or is that brake completely not adapted. VW recommends extended capacitive discharges on the newer vehicles. I've been advised to keep one in that state for an hour before and it worked.

Like I said the system is screwy I have had the problem you're describing after brake jobs before and I just kept messing with it and trying different basic settings.

I'm unclear did you attempt to open the calipers back up like you're doing the brake job again and then readapt?

Danny

"update has to do with the epb and brakes light flashing on the dash after software updates"

so even if the software is not 100% up to date, it should not effect me, right?

"Are your brake failing to adapt, is the vehicle drivable or is that brake completely not adapted."

If I use basic settings to (open Group 007), (close Group 006) or (test Group 010) the EPB, only the left "driver side" reacts but it will only react if the the (01087- Basic Setting Not Performed) code is cleared from the ECU. The car is drivable because the right side is stuck in the open position.

"VW recommends extended capacitive discharges on the newer vehicles. I've been advised to keep one in that state for an hour before and it worked."

Does this mean, keep the + & - connected for an hour? When I did it, I only touched them together for a few seconds after the battery was disconnected for 30min.

"I'm unclear did you attempt to open the calipers back up like you're doing the brake job again and then readapt?"

do you mean open the EPB with basic settings or manually? I ask, because I am not aware of a way to do it manually unless you are referring to removing the caliper and opening it with a spreader tool.

VW Mechanic: Jake, VW Technician replied 9 years ago
Jake
Jake, VW Technician

Hello Greg,

This is Jake another "expert" here with Just Answer. I am of a considerably different opinion that the Expert "Danny" who has been assisting you thus far.

If you will read the last link you provided (which is the link I would have provided to you)

You will see this TSB specifically deals with the false DTC you are receiving after retracting the brake calipers. You can see the DTC included on the list.

I suggest you take the vehicle to the dealer where they can perform the update and the condition should be corrected.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always appreciated! If you decide to accept this answer, please click the ACCEPT button by THIS answer.

Thank You!

Jake

Since you aren't experiencing a false DTC but an actual problem with the right rear caliper I'm unsure if this will correct it, but I agree you should still get the update performed regardless.

I really appreciate the help from both of you.

Is there a way to check what control module and software version the car has with the Vag-Com?

The car is out of warranty, I don't want to take it to the dealer unless I have no choice. They want close to $100 per hour just to diagnose it.

Thanks,

Greg

Your module and software version is 3C0 907 801 B software level 0001 so it isn't updated yet.

I realize that your vehicle is out of warranty and like I said since you aren't having any false dtc but a real actual issue I recommend you mess with it some more. I experienced nearly the same situation you are experiencing the first time I did a brake job and I just tried over and over and it finally for some reason works. Volkswagens are VERY sensitive to voltage issues so much so that VW recommends you have a battery maintainer or charger hooked up whenever doing software updates and some adaptations. I have had vehicles fail to adapt everything from immobilizers to throttle bodies for low voltage so I would hook a charger up and attempt your basic settings again after the extended capacitive discharge.

I just noticed in the tech bulliten it talks about adapting the longitudal acceleration sensor. Do you see where to do that in the Vag-Com program? If you can find it try that one first as well.

Danny

Also, when doing the basic settings, should the car be running or the key just pushed into the 2nd locking position with the battery charger hooked up. The Ross-Tech site says to set the key in the on position.

That is correct the key should just be in the 2nd position it doesn't have to be running (which I can tell by your vag-scan that it was).

So, here's what we should do. Attempt to clear faults, disconnect the cables and touch them together for 45 minutes to an hour, reconnect the battery cables, hook up a battery charger on low or med to maintain voltage, attempt to clear faults again, run the longitudal acceleration sensor adaptation, then run the brake pad run in or brake adaptation.

Do not hit accept on the answer unless we've solved your problem already so we can keep working this issue.

Ok, it is my friends car. I have to pick it up from her after 5 to try this.

Is it ok to use this?

http://www.optimate3.com/classic/

If you can set it to constantly put out voltage it should be fine.

Danny

i reconnect the battery cables after an hour or more, hooked up a charger, put key into ON position and the dash lights were still flashing. tried to clear faults again with no luck.

here is the full scan: http://Customer.com/06passat/full-scan-3.txt

I tried to adapt the Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (G251) but I think it did not do anything because I think basic settings are being blocked by the 02433 - Supply Voltage fault. Also, during this process, there was no option as stated in the procedure:
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]

Then I tried to Open the EPB (Basic Settings Group 007). There was no mechanical response from them. Again probably because I can not clear that fault code and basic settings are being blocked.

Here are the logs starting with the 2nd step in the Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor adaptation. http://Customer.com/06passat/Log-EPB-1.txt

The car is currently in the process of another extended capacitive discharge.

Thanks again, Greg

Ok well that didn't work it looks like. I guess the only place I have to go with this is maybe make sure you have the connector snugly back in the caliper and no debris is in there and also that the pins look good. Then I'd say maybe it's time for a trip to the dealer if that doesn't work.

Danny

I am so frustrated at this point but I hate giving up.

my brain is spinning, but i do recall reading that after disconnecting the battery to cycle the parking brake on and off 2 or 3 time to reset the controler. When I tried that yesterday, I did get a mechanical response from the EPB, but I think it was only the driver side.

I'm gonna check that connecter again.

what do you think the dealer will charge for something like this?

plugged the battery back in and then removed the EPB connector and it looks fine. Maybe I should have done this before plugging in the battery because things are worse now.

The ESP light is on and that little steering wheel light on the dash is orange. Now I am nervous because she just went through this. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4071642

these are the current codes plus the 2 in my first post. None of them will clear.

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 3C0-614-095.lbl
Part No SW: 3C0 614 095 N HW: 3C0 614 095 N
Component: ESP 440 C2 H015 0001
Revision: H015 Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXbr /> Coding:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr /> Shop #: WSC 08230 444 83945

1 Fault Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

Address 44: Steering Assist Labels: 1Kx-909-14x.lbl
Part No: 1K1 909 144 J
Component: EPS_ZFLS Kl.5 D04 1606
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 -

Also, I just got this reply which refers to this vwvortex thread.

(6:38 PM 11-17-2008) rbradleymedmd: Well...I can't view that information. I see that you tried the battery disconnect...but did you try to reset that steering sensor? That was what eventually cleared the EPB fault in my case.

The steering angle sensor faults can be adapted with a basic setting. If you try driving the car around the block they will probably clear as well. That's a common thing it means you actually reset everything.

Danny

but it seems like basic setting are not working, or is that just for the parking brake module?

will the steering wheel light and esp light turn off once they adapt after a bit of driving?

any idea of how much dealer time we are looking at?

Basic setting on the steering wheel and esp won't turn off until you drive it. I have never actually done it with vag com but the factory tool has you activate the basic setting, drive it straight forward at 25 mpg, stop, turn the wheel left to right all the way in each direction and some other stuff. Drive the car around the block the light should turn off within a minute or so.

Danny

going to try this now.

http://Customer.com/06passat/Steering%20Angle.txt

and (rbradleymedmd from vortex) is going to call me. will let you know how it turns out.

Yup that's the one, it will shut your lights off.

That did not work. I am still getting the same 2 faults with no mechanical response from the Parking Brake button.

I wounder if my battery charger is not running a constant charge. I does not have a switch on it to set. I think it is more of a trickle charger. It's the only thing I can figure other than needing the newer controller and software upgrade.

The car was purchased as certified pre-owned. I was told that all TSB's should have been taken care of if it was certified. Gonna contact the dealer tomorrow to find out.

That software update has only been out a few months I believe that's the reason it hasn't been done yet. Talk to the service manager and see if they can goodwill warranty it. Calling VW and complaining has a nice way of getting things handled as well if that doesn't work. VW will bend over backwards to keep your business. People cause damage to their cars by not changing their oil and ruin ther motors, can't provide maintenance records, complain enough, and VW covers it.

Danny

I am going to e-mail my service manager tomorrow. I am concerned though because of the link I posted above. She just got a 50/50 goodwill for the steering wheel lock issue. It's been one thing after the next since her warranty ran out.

Also, the TBS has a date of May 2007, so it has been out since before she owned the car. I will post more tomorrow.

O-yea, i will accept the answer once the issue is resolved but I don't want to lock this thread until then.

Thanks again, Greg

Did they resolve the issue for you?

Danny

Update:

My service manager is working on it now and going to get back to me this afternoon.

Out of curiosity how was the vehicle repaired? Was the caliper faulty?

Danny

Spoke to a Tech at my local dealer last week. He told me to try removing the wheels so there in no load on the rear of the car, which I had origionally did when the problem started. He also told me after I do a quick scan with the VagCom and clear the codes to double check the engine and ABS individually and clear the codes for those items even if none are shown. I did that and I was able to get the second parking brake code to go away. However, once I tried Basic Setting, I was able to open and close the driver side EPB only. Still no response at all from the passenger side EPB. It's not my car, so as soon as I have a chance to get it for a few hours, I am taking it to the dealer to do the software upgrade. Apparently there is no hardware upgrade. Once the software is updated, it changes the part number for the hardware. I will keep updating this thread until the problem is solved before I hit accept.

Thanks, Greg

Well even if you don't hit accept please return and tell me what's up so I will know in the future what was wrong should I ever hear of this or encounter it.

Danny

Danny,

You spent a good amount of time with me. I will definatly hit accept after we get it fixed.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving,

Greg

Update:

finally got the car to the dealer today. they spent an hour on it updating the software. It is not a mechanical problem but there is still no response from the pass side EPB.

Now they are doing a "vw wiring dianostic proceedure" to try and track down the problem which should take 1-2 hours. I am beginning to question their ability to fix it and am wondering if they are just trying to inflate the labor bill.

In the mean time, I have to figure out a solution to the new problem that started a few days ago.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06F-907-115-AXX.lbl
Part No SW: 3C0 907 115 F HW: 3C0 907 115 G
Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0030
Revision: --H10--- Serial number: VWZCZ000000000
Coding:(NNN) NNN-NNNN19070160
Shop #: WSC 08230 444 83945

1 Fault Found:
008583 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle
P2187 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100100
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 130543 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2008.12.07
Time: 08:16:52

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 918 /min
Load: 14.9 %
Speed: 6.0 km/h
Temperature: 84.0°C
Temperature: -4.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.732 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 8 years ago
There's a crankcase breather valve update for some of the vehicles, did they do a recall on it? If not remove the engine cover and check the big valve on the front of the valve cover that has a hose running to the intake. Remove the hose at the valve and inspect in there, there's a little disk down in there that's supposed to be centered in the valve. If it isn't centered it is broken and can cause this.

Danny

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX check that valve out.

so they found out that EPB motor itself is dead. (p/n: 3c0 998 281 b)

Dealer wants $366 just for the part and suggest they be changed in pairs.

luckily i have a friend at autohaasparts.com. gonna buy a used caliper & motor for $100.

i must say i am nervous about installing it, because once i put power to it, both motors may not be in the same place and I'm not sure if that will cause a problem. I am guessing that is why they say to replace them in pairs.

Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic