VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

97 VW Jetta: 2.0 engine: motor oil leak..oil filter..tight..bracket

Customer Question
For a '97 VW Jetta...
For a '97 VW Jetta, 2.0 engine: motor oil leak leaving an oil drip trail everywhere. The car BEEPS. Checked the plug and oil filter - made sure they were tight - I see that the oil comes/squirts from between the Oil cooler and Oil Filter bracket (or casing unit - don't know what it's called). The discount parts store don't carry this Oil seal - the dealer says they a seal AND a gasket.     QUESTION: If I replace the seal, will this stop the oil leak? The dealer told me about a gasket -- Do you agree there is a gasket that i should also replace? Is this job complicated?   Can I do it myself? More BACKGROUND on the leak:   Yes, it has been leaking before -- but only small amounts - I thought it was because i did not tighten the filter. 3 months ago, I accidently overfilled because the orange dipstick base was not pushed down all the way - and it showed less than there really was - I drained the extra oil 1 month ago only after the car BEEPED. The BEEP stopped until today's oill eak
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: VW
11/1/2008
VW Mechanic: Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 9 years ago
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

HelloCustomer first things first. If there is a gasket and a seal on top of the oil filter adapter, replace them both. Secondly, can you do it yourself. Absolutely. Take the filter off and visually you will see the bolts that hold it on. Remove it, clean the area, replace the seals and reassemble. It should take you less than an hour to do so. If that is leaking, that is a loss of oil pressure and that could be contributing to the leak. Replace them and you should be in good shape.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Ivan -- Thank your for your quick response -- I also posted more "info" on the optional section. Please let me know if your ANSWER changes based on that information. Also, to clarify -- I am looking the seal between oil cooler and oil bracket (or casing) -- Thanks for your guidance!
The oil filter screws onto the oil cooler and the oil cooler is bolted to the oil filter bracket. Please let me know if I am still on the right track

Got it. Get every seal related to that cooler. Clean the lines and the engine thoroughly so you can spot if there is a crack in any of the components. Use brakeclean since it evaporates and will do a better job cleaning. After you replace everything, make sure the oil is full and have someone else start the car while you are underneath with a light, watching that area. Look for the first signs of any leak. If nothing, your done, If there's something, if you catch it straight away, you'll be able to locate it's origin.

You are absolutely on the right track.

VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 9 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

There is one seal between the oil cooler and the bracket. You need a 27mm socket to take off the cooler- it has to be deep enough to fit over the threaded tube that the filter mounts to. The seal has a small tab on each side, that fits over the small posts on the back (upper) side of the oil cooler- you can mount it to any two of the posts, as long as they are directly across from each other.

The oil filter contains the other seal for this system, between the filter and the oil cooler- make sure when you replace filters that the old one doesn't get left behind stuck to the cooler, and lube the new filter with oil before putting it on. That is what makes this seal leak, filters get stuck on and when they are turned the oil cooler turns with the filter, loosening the nut.

gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician