Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

2000 Jetta VR6 My check engine light came on and began flashing,

Customer Question

2000 Jetta VR6 My check engine light came on and began flashing, runs very rough, top speed is only about 40 mph...Car went from a powerful 6 cyl rice burner to feeling like a 1979 4 cyl ford fairmont..can you tell me what might be wrong with it?
Category: VW
Expert:  Jake replied 8 years ago.

Thank You for useing Just Answer for your VW query. Please allow me to refer you to expert ase_master327. he is quite familiar and knowledgeable on this perticular vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How can I contact and find ase_master327?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

ase_master327 has sent this question my way.

We need to start with some basics- have you had the on-board computer read to find out what trouble codes are stored and what those trouble code numbers are?

Did Aamco replace the transmission with a remanufactured transmission, or a used one? Did they transfer the transmission control parts from your trans to the new unit or use the ones from the replacement unit?

Since this started after trans replacement, did you return to Aamco and have them re-check their work? If so, what if anything did they find?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

on-board computer read to find out what trouble codes are stored and what those trouble code numbers are? Yes, but I do not have those available now.

Did Aamco replace the transmission with a remanufactured transmission, or a used one? Rebuilt the one that was in there

Did they transfer the transmission control parts from your trans to the new unit or use the ones from the replacement unit? I ASSUME they used the old ones that had been in my car.

Since this started after trans replacement, did you return to Aamco and have them re-check their work? If so, what if anything did they find? THEY SAID IT WAS NOT THERE PROBLEM SINCE THE TRANSMISSION WORKS FINE NOW.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

Ok, until I know what the codes are, I am not ruling out Aamco being responsible.

we need to get the code numbers- they are directly related to the problems you are experiencing right now. There are literally scores of reasons that can cause loss of power and rough running engine. Without these code numbers, it would be just guessing, and I dont believe in the swap parts until problem is corrected method - gets too expensive.

If you have an Autozone or Discount Auto Parts nearby, you can take your vehicle by them and they will read the computer for FREE and give you the code numbers. Once you post those here, I can either give you diagnosis, or give you what needs to be done to further diagnose and isolate problem, just depending on what the code numbers are.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks ! I'll get the codes at lunch and send them to you in about 2 hrs. Thanks !
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

ok, when i get these, I will be able to get you going in the right direction to get your vehicle up and going again...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your help, but while on the way to the shop the engine froze up.