How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask gomi_otaku Your Own Question
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Category: VW
Satisfied Customers: 3457
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
Type Your VW Question Here...
gomi_otaku is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cant shift my 1999 vw beetle into reverse, first, or second

Customer Question

I can't shift my 1999 vw beetle into reverse, first, or second gear. I looked under the hood and found where there is a plastic piece at the end of an arm that comes from the shifter that moves backward to forward when the shifter is pushed down to put the car into reverse. The plastic piece is broken, but seems to usually connect the arm to a small bolt which moves another piece I assume does something to put the car into those missing gears. Do you know the name of that plastic piece and is it very hard or involved to replace it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 8 years ago.

The part (most likely part number 1J0711256) is inexpensive (probably about $30 at the dealer) and requires taking off the airbox for access (unbolt two 10mm head bolts and detatch the clamp at the intake hose)
Being a plastic part, it just snaps into place. It should not require that you adjust the shifter linkage (unless you have moved or loosened any other parts)

If you need help with setting the basic adjustment (only if you loosened something else) let me know, it's fairly simple



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i think you have the right part number for me. sounds like you know what you are talking about but the diagram i saw looks just slightly different. it might just be the drawing, but i ordered the part and had it overnighted, i'll accept and pay as soon as i know for sure. thanks for your info, the part, if correct, is called a 'carrier' btw (by the way)
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 8 years ago.

Yeah, if you are looking at anything at all like what we see in the part department at the dealership, quite often the picture says "parts may differ from pictured". In fact, we were looking at the front end of a 99 Jetta the other day and it had the front torsion beam for an old Beetle pictured.

again, if you do need to adjust the basic setting of the shifter after install, let me know. It shouldn't need it, but just in case something moved.



gomi_otaku and 3 other VW Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
you were dead-on right about everything, the part number, the replacement info etc. got it fixed for about $60, shop prob. would charge $300+, thanks!
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 8 years ago.
Great, thanks for coming to us!

Related VW Questions