VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

My 1985 vanagon wont start. The battery has plenty

My 1985 vanagon won''t start...
My 1985 vanagon won''t start. The battery has plenty of juice and I think the ignition switch is ok. I figure it might be the starter, but I can''t locate it. Help!!
7/19/2008
Mike, VW Mechanic

Hi & Welcome to ja.com!

I feel you are probably right -- its difficult to describe on here where the starter is - but if you look around the engine it will be located on the engine block - bolted to the gearbox housing - somwhere around the gearbox bellhousing face --The starter will have a thick cable and at least one smaller wire going to the back end of it - or onto a smaller cylidrical part/solonoid mounted on the starter -- like piggy back style --

Im not really sure if from what you say, you know what a starter motor looks like - so thats why Im trying to be 'descriptive' - Im not trying to insult you in any way :)

I Sincerley hope I have helped you -- Please ask if you need further help -

Kind Rgds, MIKE

PS~Please hit ACCEPT if you are happy with my answer/advice given~ Thank You ;)

Any & All Bonuses Are Gratefully Received ~ Thank you again.

{ FEEDBACK is Always Appreciated }

Mike, VW Mechanic
I found it but can't get to it. So I guess I'll call my mechanic. This is going to be pricey isn't it?

;)) Could be my friend - but I dont know where you live - and that does make a difference.. to price I mean..

I'm glad you were able to decipher my description as to locating it anyway..

The other thing you could do is this - now youve found it -- switch ign on... make sure handbrake is on and gears in neutral --- run a heavy duty wire - like a jumper cable size down from the pos on the battery - and short out the large terminal ( where the cable from the battery is on the starter -) with the small wire ( this is your starter trigger wire ) and if it then turns - you know you have a wiring problem somewhere -- check ALL the earth connections you can see -- if it doesn't then its likely the starter at fault...

But before you do any of this ( thinking about it ) check - the tightness of the wires on the battery -- then follow the wires to where they go - and check they are tight at the ends -- then locate the earth cable/wire - that joins the engine to the body -- check that that is in order --

If all thats ok -- check that small wires - mentioned above -- on the starter , check the connection is good -- make sure it is -- if not, do it, and try again starting ..

If all this is ok -- have someone turn the key to the starting position - while you go to the starter - armed with a good hammer - or solid bar (piece of steel ) and thump the starter two or three (or four!) times - while the key is in the start position -- if it starts now - then its a case of a stuck - and possibly failing starter motor......

I hope this extra Little bit of stuff helps you --- certainly worth a try --- thats what your mechanic will do - so you could save yourself some money!!

Al the best --

Rgds, MIKE ----------- Let me know how you go.. and thank you for the accept...

PS.... if you have a minute - would you do some feedback for me -- and I'll reciprocate - THANK YOU again, MIKE

0387

Mike, VW Mechanic