VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2001 VW Jetta: a engine noise when you rev it up at idle and you

Customer Question
I have a 2001 VW...
I have a 2001 VW Jetta vr6 with a engine noise when you rev it up at idle and you here the noise when your throttling into it when trying to pass
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: VW
4/25/2008
VW Mechanic: Jeff S.S., VW Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Jeff S.S.
Jeff S.S., VW Mechanic

Hello oconner2008,

Could you be a bit more specific as to the type and source of the noise that you are hearing?

Also, could you illuminate the spark arcing from the coil a little more? If the coil is arcing, I would suppose that the that the engine runs very poorly.

Thanks, Jeff

The engine runs fine, at idle if you rev the throttle up and down you get a noise from the valve cover area that sounds like a lifter. You can also here the noise at 50-60 if you step on it to pass, sounds like spark knock.
The cam looks brand new and the timeing chain seems tight, is there a common problem with that type of noise?
VW Mechanic: David, VW Master Technician replied 9 years ago
David, VW Master Technician
If you are hearing a rattle type noise this is normal for this engine, the intake manifold has a dual plane runner which at around 1400 rpms will shutter and you will hear the echo from the plastic intake. If you are hearing something else please advise
Reply to David's Post: Put the vehicle back together, started it up and the noise was loud and it was coming from the back of the valve cover on the passenger side and then I heard a noise like a door closing and the noise was gone. Went on a test drive, starts rattling at 1400 rpms like you said and it gets louder as your rpm's increase and once you shift its gone, then it somes back agin on your way up and then it shifts and its gone. Once you get to driving speed it does this with every shift, then its gone while sriving constent speed and if you go to pass it sounds like a spark knock when you step on it and then it goes away.
What part of the engine did you have apart? This noise does not sound normal. the intake noise I was talking about is not real load, but is there and present, normally the intkake runner is not heard once you are goind down the road past 2nd gear.
Just had the valve cover off to check the lifter, top end looked great and the chain was tight. Is there a common problem with lifter noise? The noise comes and goes when you start it up(sometimes its there and sometimes its not)
I acts like a lifter but, its not there everytime you start it. Under the hockey pucks is there a lifter?
The hockey puck you are looking at is the top side of the lifter. Normally we dont see problems with lifters, also take a good look down to the lower chain if you can see to make sure it is tight. There are two chains, one that comes off the crank and drives an intermediate shaft and the one that comes off the shaft to the cams
David, VW Master Technician