VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

i just got a 2001 vw passat was told engine was bad in it ...

Customer Question
i just got a 2001...
i just got a 2001 vw passat was told engine was bad in it but the car turns over fine with now bad noises it has 97000 miles ont it also has the 1.8t witha 5 speed but the car will not fire i have hooked a code reader up and it wont acknolege that it is hooked up im thinking i have electrical problem with the ecu but everything i keep finding on elecrical on this car is about the tdi''s radio and light problems i can''t find anything to help me narrow this problem down and i am new to vw''s
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: VW
12/30/2007
VW Mechanic: RIP, Lead Technician replied 10 years ago
RIP
RIP, Lead Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answers,

• What kind of noises does it make while it's cranking?
  • Does the check engine lamp come on when the key is turned ON?
  • Do you have an aftermarket stereo?

Rip

it sounds normal when cranking i have never seen the check engine light come on even when you turn the key on and there is no sterio in it right now   thanks

If there is no stereo in it now, is there an aftermarket stereo harness connector plugged into the stock stereo harness...these cars are sensitive to stereo work which results in no comunication between the code reader/scanner and the engine computer. if the stereo isn't the issue, we need to know why the check engine lamp doesn't come on, it entails the engine computer isn't getting power.

Check fuses #12, 29, 32, and 34 in the dash fuse box first..I know you mentioned the fuses have been checked, but I need to make sure none were missed...also use a voltmeter or 12 volt test lamp to check the fuses...we need to know if any of them arn't getting power.

graphic

RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
all right i just went and checked i have power to #12 but the others dont have power

And just to make sure, this test was done with the ignition key in the ON position -correct?

Rip

yes
  • Can you tell me which other fuses in the fuse box have no power with the key on?
  • Also, can you tell me the manufacture date on the driver door jamb sticker?
  • When you turn the ignition key on, do any warning lamps come on the dash?

Rip

mfg date is 3-01 warning light on the dash that i do have are brake batt oil fuel coolant and a triangle with a circle around come one then go out when turn the key on but the triangle batt stay on i dont know what the triangle is the fuses that dont have power are 4 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 30 32

So #34 does have power than - correct? Thanks...4,18,19, 20, 21, 22, and 23 are ok to not have power, since they are all lighting fuses...i'm trying to locate where the power source comes from these fuses, but #29 and 32 are crucial for the engine computer to power up...take two wires from the battery positive cable and run them to fuses #29 and 32 - and 34 if it doesn't have power. Just remove the fuse, place the wire in the terminal and place the fuse over it...turn the key on, will the check engine lamp come on?

Rip

i did what you said i installed a jumper wire to all 3 fuses and when i hook them up to power i can hear the fuel pump turn but the check engine light still dosnt come on

And what about fuse #34, is it getting power on it's own? With the wires in place crank the engine and see if it runs...

Rip

sorry about me leaving 34 out 34 is dead tried hooking all 3 wires up and it will not run but the fuel pump comes on now thanks

Alright, let me study these wiring schematics, i'm missing something here..but definitly we're not getting power to (3) very imporatnt fuses....so there may be other components not getting power as well. I'll post my findings tommorow morning PST..thanks. Meanwhile check the battery positive cable, be sure all the wires are connected there...and the cables are tight.

Rip

RIP
RIP, Lead Technician

Replace this relay in the "E" box, and see if the fuse next to it is good..the relay powers those fuses. You can have an assistant turn the ignition key on and see if the relay makes a clicking sound...

graphic

sorry so late to get back to you this is what i found i went and picked up a hays manual yesturday i dont know for sure that the wiring scamatics are correct or not i have got constant power to terminal62 at the ecm i have keyed power to terminal 65 at ecm the ecm sends a signal to a relay in the ecm box that you sent me in your last reply and that powers up fuse 29 while i was chasing down wire i was looking at the ecm and seen some scale on it i opened it and it is covered in rust inside is there any way of checking the ecm or what do you think   thanks

It's really odd to have rust in the ECM, but if there is...the ECM is considered faulty. Is it possible to upload a pic of the ECM and rust? Is there rust in any of the electrical connector terminals or the E box?

Rip

i didnt find any rust in any of the connectors-just in the ecu itself. graphic not sure if this picture loaded correctly-is there any other way i can send/upload pictures?

Use the toolbar to upload, using the picture of the small tree... has to be under 250k in file size...

did that...not working...i cant even get the link to work now....

How about send it to my email and see if that works [email protected]

Rip

i hope those pic turn out i sent them to your email

Ouch, that doesn't look good at all...definitly we're going to have to get a computer for that first. But, can you take your meter and measure for voltage on all the wires of the computer with the key on and tell me which color wires have voltage on them? If the computer shorted internally, it may have taken out a relay or fuse we've overlooked; becuse we still need power on those perticular fuses in the dash fuse box. This explains why even after we added power to the fuses the check engine lamp still didn't come on.

wires that have power are 2 black and white

green and red

red blue

white red

black blue

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX until tommorow morning, i'm back at the shop and will have better schematics available...but it sounds like the correct wires are getting voltage, as they should...so we may just be dealing with a bad computer. While I figuer that out, you should get a compression reading of the engine, you mentioned that you were told it's bad, but I don't want us to be dealing with two problems here...

Rip

hi the rip since i last talked to you i purchased an ecu and just got it in the mail yesturday i installed it now the car fires up the imeditly dies my code reader is giving me a code of p0600 serial comm link malfunction do you know any thing about this my book dosnt list it i dont know if this means i need to tow it to th dealer and have the computer reprogramed or what it means i cant find anything that says how to trouble shoot it only what the code is if you could help me out that would be greatly appretiated thanks
RIP
RIP
RIP, Lead Technician