Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Our V40 "died" last Wednesday. It is only 4 1/2 years old,

Our V40 "died" last...

Our V40 "died" last Wednesday. It is only 4 1/2 years old, out of warranty unfortunately, and my local mechanic is saying that the diagnostic tool is saying that there is a fault with the fuel injection pump. Apparently the pressure is not building up leading to no fuel getting through to the engine. Is this a common fault with Volvos, especially one so young! It has only done 58000 kilometres.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you hear clicking when you try to start the vehicle? Do any lights come on?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your V40?

Customer:(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I have every confidence in my local mechanic so know they'll be able to fix it. Just incredibly frustrated and annoyed. Is this a common fault with Volvo vehicles? It seems this is going to cost about $3000 - yet to be confirmed.

8/1/2021
Volvo Mechanic: MatthewD224, Technician replied 1 year ago
MatthewD224
MatthewD224, Technician

Welcome to Just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today with your issue.

If possible, please provide me with you VIN number and/or if in UK, your vehicles vehicle registration number. Passing me these details really helps to get more vehicle specific information.

Once I have this, I will endeavour to work towards a solution for you as quickly as possible. I will however be unable to answer any more questions you ask until I return to this page AFTER researching your initial question. Please do not keep asking if I am there etc.

Fully qualified Volvo main dealer technician with over 25 years’ experience in the motor trade, based in the UK.

I do not offer the premium call service so please ignore the system generated message offering this service.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All my service manuals are with the vehicle at the garage so cannot give you the VIN number. The registration number is ***** - if that helps.Something is wrong here!! I am in New Zealand. I am trying to get my telephone contact into the system but it won't accept either my landline number nor my mobile number. Sorry! Not much more I can do if it won't accept those.

Is your car petrol or diesel?

Are they saying it is the high pressure injection pump or the pump in the fuel tank?

I have to say that fuel pump failure is not a fault that I have come across. So I would urge you to make sure the garage do some in depth diagnostics! As there is nothing worse than fitting a really expensive part that you cannot return only for the car to still not start.

58000 km's is no distance what so ever, here in the UK that works out at only just over half the warranty limit mileage of 60 000 miles.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your quick response. The mechanic is saying it is the high pressure injection pump. Yes I agree the mileage is quite low. They are re-running the diagnostics today so they can be sure of what the fault it.Oops sorry. The car is petrol. Kind regards

I am glad to hear that they want to make sure as even though it is a mechanical part and it could technically fail at any time, it is still very rare for one to fail.

They would be wise to check what pressure the in tank pump is producing, as the high pressure pump requires a good delivery of fuel. The high pressure pumps cannot draw fuel up from the tank so it requires the in tank pump to be working well.

Please keep me informed as to what they find and any further questions please come back to this chat.

Regards

Matt.

MatthewD224
MatthewD224, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much for your help Matt. It is now going to be trucked up to Hamilton, a*****from here.I guess it will just be a waiting game now. kind regards, Lorraine