Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My coil pack keeps going looks like it's melting I have

My coil pack keeps...

My coil pack keeps going looks like it's melting I have replaced it twice. Seems fine when I drive normally but as soon as I give it some it smells like it's melting it. I have checked temp while driving never gets over 96 Celsius could it be the thermostat. Volvo v60 t6 2011

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this smell been noticeable? Any leaking?

The coil pack is leaking from the inside it looks like and the smell is only there when I'm pushing the car

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2011 V60?

120000

7/4/2021
Volvo Mechanic: MatthewD224, Technician replied 1 year ago
MatthewD224
MatthewD224, Technician

Welcome to Just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today with your issue.

If possible, please provide me with you VIN number and/or (if in UK) Vehicle registration number. Passing me these details really helps to get more vehicle specific information. Once I have this, I will endeavour to work towards a solution for you as quickly as possible.

Fully qualified Volvo main dealer technician with over 25 years’ experience in the motor trade, based in the UK.

I do not offer the premium call service so please ignore the system generated message offering this service.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NC11 KEK it's a jap import so might no come up yet been in country for over6 monthsVIN NUMBER

Have you replaced the spark plug/s when you have replaced the coil, I say this as something is causing that ignition coil to work really hard and the usual culprit is the spark plug being faulty. It may not be causing a misfire but it could have a really high resistance so that coil is having to work really hard.

I have never had to replace a coil on a 6 cylinder even on police cars so I think there is something electrical rather than surrounding engine temperature.

Regards

MatthewD224
MatthewD224, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
changed the spark plug the second time but checked it today and there is signs of it going againI have done loads of searching about it and some sights suggest that a bad thermostat could cause the problem but i wasn't sure on that.I will replace all plugs and coilsthank you