Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Can a used remote fob bought from eBay be reprogrammed to…

Can a used remote...

Can a used remote fob bought from eBay be reprogrammed to another Volvo?

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you first notice this? Do you see any error messages or codes relating to the keyfob?

No I only got one with the car that I bought, I need another one

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your Volvo?

2017 xc90

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

That’s all

6/30/2021
Volvo Mechanic: MatthewD224, Technician replied 1 year ago
MatthewD224
MatthewD224, Technician

Welcome to Just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today with your issue.

If possible, please provide me with you VIN number and/or (if in UK) Vehicle registration number. Passing me these details really helps to get more vehicle specific information. Once I have this, I will endeavour to work towards a solution for you as quickly as possible.

Yes the newer key fobs can be wiped and reprogrammed to other cars. But this will need to be carried out by someone with VIDA as it requires software being put into the car.

It would be worth getting a quote from a dealer as here in the UK new keys are only about £35 whereas the covers alone are about £120 plus. But you will have to pay for the software package.

Fully qualified Volvo main dealer technician with over 25 years’ experience in the motor trade, based in the UK.

I do not offer the premium call service so please ignore the system generated message offering this service.

MatthewD224
MatthewD224, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in the USA, vin # is *****************