Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I had the ignition switch replaced and now the key wont lock…

Second Opinion] i had...

Second Opinion] i had the ignition switch replaced and now the key wont lock the car ?

Mechanic's Assistant: How long have you had trouble locking the vehicle? Have you double checked the batteries in the keyfob?

It happened after i left the volvo dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your Volvo?

2008 xc 90

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

The volvo mechanic at the dealership said the new keyed ignition had nothing to do with the key not being able to lock my car now but the key worked fine when i took the car in ?

6/26/2021
Volvo Mechanic: MatthewD224, Technician replied 1 year ago
MatthewD224
MatthewD224, Technician

Welcome to Just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today with your issue.

If possible, please provide me with you VIN number and/or (if in UK) Vehicle registration number. Passing me these details really helps to get more vehicle specific information. Once I have this, I will endeavour to work towards a solution for you as quickly as possible.

Can you tell me what you mean by " the key no longer locks the car" , does the mechanical key no longer work in the door lock or does the remote no longer work ?

Please let me know and then we can move forward with your issue

Best regards Matt

Fully qualified Volvo main dealer technician with over 25 years’ experience in the motor trade, based in the UK.

I do not offer the premium call service so please ignore the system generated message offering this service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Matt. I don’t have a remote control key to the Volvo 2008 Xcode 90 My mechanical key locks the doors but the doors pop up open before I can get the drivers side door key out of the lock. This just happened when I had a new column ignition switch put in ? Are these two related?

There is a small chance that there could be an issue with the replacement ignition switch as the switch tells the CEM (body computer) that the ignition is off. If the CEM does not get this signal it COULD stop the locks from working as a sort of safety against locking keys in car (as using the mechanical key would be the same as manually pushing the door knob down).

If it is not this then the most likely culprit is a faulty lock mechanism that is causing lock bounce. The only repair would be a replacement lock. There is a need to calibrate the door locks after the battery being disconnected so may be worth doing this . The instructions say to just lock and unlock car with key once. I think it means to turn in lock direction and then unlock direction.

I hope this helps a bit, sorry I can't be a bit more definite and tell you one way or another. I understand these things can be frustrating when a fault occurs directly after a repair.

Regards

MatthewD224
MatthewD224, Technician