Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Both passenger side headlights are out, with no power to…

Both passenger side headlights...

Both passenger side headlights are out, with no power to them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2001 V70

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just checked the voltage at the headlight.

7/11/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Both the driver and passenger headlights are powered from the same circuit through 4 fuses 1, 2, 10, 11 in the passenger compartment. If the fuses are good and are powered when using the lamps then your no power issue is going to be broken wires.

Here is a diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8ijn6npthq4hyz/v70head.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
If both right lights are out, would it make sense that both fuses were out (which I will check in the morning) or that the common ground had failed?

It would be rare for the right high beam fuse and right low beam fuse to fail. It is more than likely no ground to the lamp but you said there was no power.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
No power if I check with a multimeter with the negative probe in the socket's black and the hot probe in the socket's hot.

You need to use an alternate ground to confirm no power. Using all the wires at the socket to test power and ground at the same time will not tell you if you are missing power or ground if the results show no voltage.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
I agree - I will check it that way in the morning. Thank you for the wiring diagram. I will check back with you tomorrow.

Super

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
It will be a this weekend before I can get back to this. I will finish my rating then. So far so good, though.

Thanks

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Bad ground. The wiring diagram helped