Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

P2178 and p0191. Trip computer also show 3-4 mpg more than…

Customer Question
P2178 and p0191. Trip computer...
P2178 and p0191. Trip computer also show 3-4 mpg more than actual mpg
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/27/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

OK to get the Too rich error code in conjunction with the inconsistent fuel pressure reading then I'd say the next step is to measure the fuel pressure with a separate gauge

as if the fuel pressure is too high then you'll be running too rich and also the trip computer calculation will be incorrect as that assumes the fuel pressure on the back of the injector is where it should be and bases its engine fuel use calculation on that

so 1st check what fuel pressure you have and you may have to also replace the fuel pressure sensor

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

What should fuel pressure be? What if it’s too high, too low or ok?

fuel pressure should be 3.5 Bar or 50 psi

if its more than this then you'll be running rich

too low and you'll run lean

if its OK then the issue must be elsewhere and could be incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will be leaving the car constantly ' on choke' and not reducing the fuelling as the engine warms - so unplug the sensor and clean the contacts on both sides with some switch / electrical cleaner (not WD40) and inspect the wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation especially where it runs over other components and through the bulkhead- if this doesn't help consider replacing the sensor as they're not expensive

Check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.

this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers

How can I tell if the fuel pressure sensor is working?

ideally you would plug in scan tool that can read the pressure live / monitor it

this will show what its reaching

or you can use a voltmeter to back probe the sensor with the ignition on to see what voltage you get out of the middle pin as it should be about 3.5V

A fuel injected car has a choke?
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago
eric remington

Y​Ou mean 2187? how can I help? do you want diagnostic procedure for codes?

Are you a certified Volvo technician?
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

I​ have been ASE certified an advanced engine performance for over 20 years been an all vehicle master tech and a ASe master tech for decades over 3 for over 20 years. I have repaired many Volvos. Have repaired over 30000 vehicles. Would I ever work at a Volvo dealership? No way. I have more experience than a typical Volvo master tech

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

ASE advanced engine performance for over two decades. I dont just work on one line...No way

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

You want me to opt out?

I’m getting codes p2178 an p0191. Looking for guidance as to what might be causing them