Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Second opinion] When my engine fan kicks in at low temps my…

Customer Question
Second opinion] When my...

Second opinion] When my engine fan kicks in at low temps my ac works perfectly and the engine runs at 180 degrees all day. When the engine fan does not kick on until 200 degrees my ac does not work and the engine runs at 190 all day. I have a 2005 Volvo with an isx 450.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Yes the ac system checks out perfect it has to do with the fan somehow

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Volvo?

Vnl64t

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, the mechanics have not been able to figure it out. there must be 2 sensors to turn on fan. when the one works for the ac it does not overpressure and work perfectly when it does not turn the fan on then it the ac overpressures and does not work. then the fan does not turn on until the engine reaches 200 degrees. I have replaced the high-pressure switch for the ac. did not fix the problem.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 day by:
5/28/2018
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago
eric remington

W​hat are you using to check coolant temperature? Does ac come back on after fan kicks in ...after temp goes down again?

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

O​r once engine warms up it just never comes on?

Engine gauge in cab and no once engine is hot ac stays off. When ac works engine runs 180 on cool side when ac dose not work engine runs 190 to 200 on cool side.
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

I​ dont have a schematic or a location of sensor /switch. I would replace temp sensor or computer may be bad.

What tells the fan come on? It seem like two things can either the ac or the temp???
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

y​es, both the ac and the temp. if ac is off what temp does fan come on

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

any ck engine lights on dash?

No
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

if i had schematic I could tell you how system worked

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

if ac is off what temp does fan come on

Around 210 and cools to around 190 and then fan kicks off
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

does ac come on at 190 or no?

No motor has to cool down like when I eat lunch and have if off for an hour.
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

I am thinking there is a separate switch for the ac cutoff and the radiator fan on and off. It seems that the radiator fan switch is working properly. It is either a computer problem or a separate switch look for switches in radiator in intake manifold etc that measure engine coolant temp. If no lights on dash I think the switch may be giving a wrong reading

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

Should be two separate switches...I think one of them is giving wrong reading to computer