Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Check engine light, emergency repair warning and low power

Customer Question

Check engine light , emergency repair warning and low power and rough idle. Mechanic noticed oil in the spark plug tubes curious if this is the cause.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on. sometimes after it sits it will go out and then come on again after running.
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2001 Volvo V70 XC
JA: Are you fixing your V70 XC yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no. They tried replacing the computer module (can't remember the name of it), but couldn't get it programmed properly.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Do you happen to know what code was being stored and causing the check engine light to illuminate?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok, is this the turbo model or non turbo?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Non-turbo
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok

The oil can cause this. Here is the reason why. If the oil softens up the spark plug boot on the coil, you will get a misfire. From the sounds of it the car does have a misfire. Now normally you would get a code for the misfire IE P0302 would mean a #2 cylinder misfire. If that was one of the cylinders that had oil in it, then I would suspect it to be causing the issue. You would have to replace the valve cover gasket, and the ignition coil to solve the issue.

Now if you can get the code, I might be able to figure out which cylinder is misfiring and offer some guidance on repairing the issue, where all I can do at the moment is let you know it is possible your leaking oil is causing the issue.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!