Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Can't unlock ignition. key wont turn. Can't turn steering…

Customer Question
Can't unlock ignition....

Can't unlock ignition. key wont turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Can't turn steering wheel and the key seems ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2002 C70

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The thing locked up in parking lot and I took a taxi home. Haven't tried anything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Volvo
4/2/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Enes, VOLVO Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Sounds like your ignition lock failed internal ball bearings move out and lock the ignition . Only way now is to drill out replace with pre codes ignition lock cost with labor and part will
Be around $580
Solved the problem by activating the alarm and locking and unlocking the doors 5 times.
You said can’t turn steering ?
Maybe you just had locked steering wheel and it got reset
I tought you can’t turn steering and start the car
Thanks

sorry about that you can rate me neutral or negative if you like thank you