Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Alot. 2005 xc90 2.5t. Months ago it just started stalling in…

Customer Question
2005 xc90 2.5t Mechanic's...

2005 xc90 2.5t

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Months ago it just started stalling in middle of driving, then electronics started acting funny. It lost comm to brake control module so i replaced it it wont even start i think it lost the key or something. I used vida and it said it cant communicate with ecu brake control module, and some other conputer

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

Yes i have 2 keys

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 day by:
4/2/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Enes, VOLVO Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

you cant install used brake module you must buy new and then when you buy new you must take to Volvo dealer to program with software to match car vin before it will work

I know that but it is not brake module. It dtarted way before brake module problem thats just most recent
The BCM what can cause the car to lose the key so I I know that it has to be the ECU or the cem module I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out which one because I know the cm's and notorious for going bad on this because of the water damage in mind did have water on it when I was taking it out and but it's communicating with the East with the c e m but it won't communicate with the ECU

that is very long process all wires communication must take a part tested than you narrow it down no easy way

cem is very common to fail so I would start right there

Do u have any experience as far as the things that go wrong with ecu that doesnt happen with ecu? And vice versa
I mean happenns with cem that dont happen with ecu

witch ecu

you kind install software called total reload see what comes back online , than you test can communication can high can low voltages test resistance in system wires and modules CONNECT BRAKE OUT BOX AND THAT ALL HELPS TO FIND WHAT TO DO

YOU NOT GONE BE ABLE TO FIX ALL THIS AT HOME WITHOUT FULL WIRING DIAGRAMS AND GOOD KNOLEDGE ABOUT CAN COMUNICATION WITH EACH MODULE WE TALK HERE FOR DAYS WOULD NOT HELP YOU MUCH

I have full wiring diagrams vida, everything i need

I CANT TEACH YOU HERE ALL CAN COMUNICATION IN CAR IS NOT THAT SIMPLE A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer CAN is a Controller Area Network, which is a network of independent controllers communicating securely. ... When the CAN bus is in idle mode, both of these lines carry 2.5V but when data bits are being transmitted, the CAN high line goes to 3.75V and the CAN low drops to 1.25V

Can you tell me what other part # is interchangeable with my cem if any mine is 30728539 because every time i read online it seems that part #always goes back to the diesel model

YOU MUST BUY NEW CLEAN CEM

NEW PART NUMBERS ARE NOW CHNAGED VOLVO WILL GIVE YOU NEED BLANK CEM FOR THAT VIN

THAT PART NUMBER IS ***** MADE ANYMORE IS OLD THEY CHANGE EVERY FEW MONTHS

My local dealer said volvo recomends new clean cem but i can buy used one clean it install it and they can download software

NO THEY CANT

CANT USE A USED CEM

They said they can they just cant install used part

THEY WILL TRY BUT WILL NOT WORK YOU CAN TRY IF YOU LIKE

REASON THEY USE MODULE AND PROGRAMING SO YOU CANT USE A USED PART TO BUY NEW PART THEY DO THAT BEAUCE OF THAT

HERE IN CHICAGO WE TELL COSTUMER USED CEM WILL NOT WORK YOU CAN INSTALLING BUT ALL KEYS CHIPS AND PROGRAMS AND VIN INFO ON USED IS FROM OTHER CAR SOFTWARE WILL FAIL SAY MISTMACH VIN TRY AAGAIN

Dont volvo offer that also? I was reading online that they released somethibg allowing you to use a used cem? As long as u have original one also

PEOPLE WRITE ONLINE A LOT YOU CAN TRY BUT IM SURE IT WILL NOT WORK

It was actually a link on a blog that was from volvo

YOU CAN TRY BUT AGAIN IF YOU BUY USED THEY MUST INSTALL AND REMOVE WHEN YOU DO PROGRAMING TO DO RIGHT AWAY

BY THAT TIME YOU PAY LABORAND TRY IS BIG RISK YOU CAN BUY ALMOST NEW

DO YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS FOR ME

.

What does a new one go for
750$
If you can rate neutral please I did not offer much help you can reply to me still
After you press accept I can reply faster
Let me take you back to the begining.
Ok
2-3 years ago i was driving and car started putting real bad. Did a check low fuel pressure. I changed the fuel pump and it was ok. Car sat for about 2 years. The passenger side floor was soaked with puddles, from the sunroof drain. When i started driving it again that problem started again. Then got worse the car would just shut off while driving. The abs light came on. As i was still driving it. Eventually it sometimes wouldnt start. Then when it did start no electronics would work or come on for about 30 seconds. The car was extremely hard to put in gear. Had to really pull it hard. While trying to figure this out brake failure safely pull over came up. I then noticed driver floor getting wet. Hooked up vida like 100 codes came up. Deleted them. Checked again. Then it said cant connect to icm, ecm, and bcm. Followed by getting power but wont start not turning over nothing.
Took out cem it was wet on top.
Mostly bad cem
I would start there
Please press accept and do ratting we can follow up again anytime thanks
Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician