Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Overheating problems, everything is fine with coolant and no…

Customer Question
overheating problems , everything is...
overheating problems , everything is fine with coolant and no leaks. Fan comes on TOO LATE and engine feels too hot and unbearable when hood is popped open
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Volvo
3/27/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Chris, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and welcome to just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Hi Chris

Does coolant get forced out of the overflow bottle, and what is the temperature gauge showing when the fan does come on?

Chris

The temperature guage is always at the middle center , just slightly over. No matter how HOT the engine gets the temperature is at the middle. But when the engine is started initially cold the needle moves from zero point to the middle . which makes me seem to feel the engine coolant temp sensor is working fine
coolant never forced out of overflow bottle , but engine feels really hot. even when side fenders are touched one can feel the terrible heat. radiator is immaculately clean and car has only 40k kilometers

Well then it may not be actually overheating if you are not loosing coolant and the gauge is at the midway point. Today's engines run hot. Most run around 217 to 220 degrees F. That is actually considered normal. So I would not be too worried to be honest with you.

Chris

sorry to ask but are you very familiar with the volvo s80 2002 ? or you are just speaking from a general perspective

I work on all types of vehicles including the S80 Volvos. So I am familiar with it.

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with your Volvo. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Chris