Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Overheating. No leaks and coolant is fine. 2002 volvo s80.

Overheating Mechanic's Assistant: Have...

Overheating

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

No leaks and coolant is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2002 volvo s80

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet , still trying to diagnose

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Is both the upper and lower radiator hoses hot or is one allot colder than the other?

Is coolant overflowing from the coolant reservoir or radiator at all?

Has anything been checked, tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

both upper and lower hotyes coolant flowing into reservoir and radiator.Problem mainly is that the cooling fan does not come on on time. It does eventually come on but by then the engine feels pretty hot. the temperature guage seems normal just a little above top dead center

Does the temp gauge ever go way above dead center with this over heat issue?

it never goes way above TDC no matter how hot which surprises me. It does rise from zero to TDC just fine but when it reaches the TDC it will never move beyond no matter how hot.

O.k., the center is o.k.But with it going slightly over center this can indicate the thermostat is not opening as it should.I have run into this several times before in the past where the thermostat fails to open soon enough and causes just a little more heat on the engine.

With what you have described here it sounds like the thermostat itself needs to be replaced to resolve this fault here.I would have that done and if the cooling system has never had a coolant system flush done this should be done as well.

The engine cooling fan may not come on right away as sometimes it takes little further over the center point of the gauge for the computer to turn on the fan.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Ok thanks you have a good point , but it is probably the thermostat as you have said . But if the temperature guage rises just fine from zero to TDC , is is possible for us to rule out the engine coolant temperature sensor and just hone it down to the thermostat ?

If the gauge rises properly from cold to mid section then this usually does rule out the coolant temp sensor.Usually, if it was the engine coolant temp sensor the gauge would be all over the place or stuck on cold or hot all of the time.This sounds more to me like a fault with the engine thermostat itself needing to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician