Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Volvo XC 70 - there is bumping and squeaking when

2008 Volvo XC 70...

2008 Volvo XC 70 - there is bumping and squeaking when riding over bumps in the road.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just bought the car. The noise is from the back end toward the right side.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC 70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just looking into the spare tire and saw a loose piece of siding. Also in the back end one the right side of the rear compartment there is a rattle when you tap on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it possibly a shock or suspension problem?

3/27/2018
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This is usually a fault with a worn shock mount or worn shock itself causing this issue here.I have run across this type of fault several times before in the past and had to inspect the shocks and struts for any visible issues with the mounts.If no issues are seen visibly then usually it needs to be replaced as an assembly.I recommend replacing both rear shocks at the same time if it is found that the shock needs replaced.

Usually, a local tire shop will do a free inspection and they can pinpoint the exact component needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician