Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Similar to this issue but my CD audio works fine, so doea AM…

Hi, similar to this issue...
Hi, similar to this issue but my CD audio works fine, so doea AM radio, it's just FM radio there is no sound, any ideas?
3/27/2018
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Hello, I hope you are doing great. I would be happy to assist you with this.\

The FM system works off a separate antenna from the AM system, so it sounds to me like there is an issue with either the antenna, or the coax cable that connects the antenna to the radio unit. I would recommend inspecting to verify the antenna is not damaged/loose, if the antenna is good, then chances are we have a bad cable

OK thanks. Sorry, I thought AM audio was working but it's not. SO FM/AM audio isn't working, but CD audio is 100% fine.

You are very welcome. If it is not working on either than it is most likely an issue with the preamp. The signals run into the amp and then into the radio. Usually when the AM/FM both fail it is a bad radio, but since that has already been replaced I would look into the amp

Ok thanks, ***** ***** will I need to look for/do to the amp?

You just need to make sure it has a proper ground and power signal. The failure is usually internal and requires amp replacement

OK but why would CD audio be fine if there's an amp problem?
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Other expert left helping you out ! What year model volvo do you own ?
2005 Volvo S60 with the HU-650 stereo.

most time you will have bad antenna in rear bumper is fm antenna build am is build in rear glass

antenna connections are right rear area of bumper remove bumper and inspect wire for damage

picture 8 is antenna on picture

also if you can please press accept and rate the answer positive we can stay locked and reply faster thank you

picture 7 is antenna sorry

Ok thanks Enes, let me take a look.

some time is just wire unplugged from vibration or broken fix wire and is ok

also if you can press accept so we stay locked this is world wide page lot expert can jump and in and go by accept we stay locked and I get credit also from web page

Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Ok Enes I’ve rated you. I’ll take a look at bumper mounted antenna and let you know if this fixed it.
One question. If the antenna is disconnected/faulty, wouldn’t I hear some static noise rather than dead silence?

most time it gets unplugged , no static just no fm . if antenna is good than is gone be bad radio

radio must be programed to car and Volvo dealer has access to software only used radio will not work

reply back when you can

Hi, ok removed rear bumper and antenna was unplugged, plugged it back in and radio still the same, no noise from AM or FM, CD audio is fine. What do you suggest next?

if that is case no am no fm than is gone be in radio it self so to say all other parts are built in radio internally . most likely you will need new radio . but Volvo radio is expensive I would look for aftermarket radio with dvd radio navigation what can fit in dash also same as Volvo

https://www.ebay.com/i/182834480407?chn=ps&dispItem=1

https://www.ebay.com/i/182249985695?chn=ps&dispItem=1

https://www.seicane.com/elegant-double-din-car-radio-fascia-for-2004-2005-2006-2007-volvo-xc70-v70-s60-trim-surround-cd-dashboard-panel-audio-frame-s37vo004

OK that's shame, it was working great last week and ow nothing. What about a 2nd hand one like this? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/05-06-07-Volvo-V70-HU-650-Radio-Single-Cd-Cassette-Player-8696126-1-AL13/142733930321?epid=1022083221&hash=item213b9aef51:g:1TwAAOSw7rdaZ0i8 Will there be an issue with radio codes etc?

don't buy used will not work no radio CODES EACH RADIO IS PROGRAMED WITH SOFTWARE TO EACH CAR VIN NUMBER THANIF YOU SWAP RADIO WILL BE JUST DARK .

OK thanks, I'll check antenna wires and plug again, the guy that connected it said it was loose. So that one antenna, wire and plug assembly does both AM & FM correct?

fm is in per and rear glass is am antenna build in glass

fm antenna is rear bumper am is in rear glass