Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Today I had my tires rotated on my 2002 V70 XC. When I was…

Today I had my...

Today I had my tires rotated on my 2002 V70 XC. When I was pulling out of the garage driveway the ABS/ANTI-SKID SERVICE REQUIRED message started to show as well as the ABS light on the dash was illuminated. I drove back to the shop, which is just a tire shop so no official mechanic there. They said they weren't sure what may be wrong as they "just rotated and balanced the wheels." A little while later after I left the Check Engine light also came on. I read the ODB codes when I just got home and I had 0573 and 0502. I reset the codes and went for a ride. As I was driving out of my driveway I could feel the ABS kick in with the "grab" sort of feel and immediately the ABS light and ABS/Anti-Skid message. The 0502 code is now back. It will drive fine as that ABS "grab" only lasted for a second. It's just got to do with the tire rotation. The shop was good about it as they said have your mechanic look at it and we will cover it if it was something we did. Can you help?!

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Which light?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V70 XC yourself? What have you tried so far?

Please read my message.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Look at the very end of the axles, there are toothed reluctance wheels that go on the end of the axle, make sure they are there, and tight, and not cracked, also, pop the center caps, and there are two 14 mm bolts in the very center, make sure those bolts are tight and somebody didn't loosen them for some reason on the tire rotation. (I've seen it before). Let me know what you see there if anything. You can't see the ring from the tire, you have to get up under the car and it's right near the brake rotor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks! ***** will do these things in the morning. Will I need to take the wheels off to do this?

It helps, but not absolutely necessary, but if the front end is put up in the air you can take a flashlight and take a look, make sure those rings are not cracked, and they are tight on the cv joint.

and sometimes if somebody loosens one of the 14 mm bolts in the middle, the axle then pushes forward towards the transmission and the reluctance ring doesn't mate up with the ABS wheel sensor anymore.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok - will check tomorrow. I did notice as the guy was taking the tires off that after he removed the lug nuts he gave the wheel a good kick to get the tire off. Sort of surprised me! Wonder if he messed something up! Thanks!

probably not from kicking, these wheels will get stuck on the hub a lot of times and I've actually had to hammer them off, check the wires going to the ABS sensors, possibly could have disrupted some of those somewhere, If all that looks good and the ABS control module has wheel speed sensor codes, then it's possible the ABS control module may be at fault as Volvo had a fairly high fairly rate with that item, but check all those other things first and hopefully you'll see something there, check the back ABS sensor wiring harnesses as well. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK - will do and report back to you tomorrow. Is there any schematic or diagram where everything is located?

reluctance rings are on the end of the axles, near the hub, the front axle bolts are in the center of the axle under the wheel center cap. The sensors are in the spindle, with one wire loom attached to the brake line. You should be able to see those things easily. Let us know what happens. Thank you,.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok - got it! Thanks again!

Absolutely .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello again Eddie. Well I jacked up my car and took both front wheels off. I was happy to find the bolt that holds the left front ABS sensor into the hole pointed at the reluctor rings had broke and the sensor was not in the hole. So I was able to get it attached again and thought that would be it but unfortunately it was not. As soon as I drive forward, and it seems when I make a turn, the ABS kicks in for a second and instantly the message comes on. The ABS light and check engine light are on. I can get the check engine light to go off by clearing the codes but the ABS light stays on. I just know this has something to do with the tire rotation. I checked all reluctor rings and they all look good as much as I can see of them. I check all sensor wires front and rear and they all also look good. Any more ideas? Thanks again for all the help!

If all the sensors look good, and all the wiring is good, then I believe it to be a failed ABS control module. If it had anything to do with the tire rotation, then I believe you would see it in the reluctance wheel, the sensor wiring or what you've checked there as that was the only area they were in. I would have to check the codes in the ABS module, but usually if it's wheel speed sensor codes it's the module itself. Check Xemodex.com for pricing on one. From the internet without checking the codes with Volvo's VADIS system and monitoring the wheel speed sensors real time that is in my opinion what you have going on there.

Check the 14mm axle bolts if you didn't behind the wheel center cap.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok - I also remembered you suggested to check the axle bolts. I will do that and check out the module replacement. Thank you again!
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician