Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 Volvo S60 T5. It is throwing codes: P0305,

Customer Question
P0304,P0300. I replaced the spark...
I have a 2014 Volvo S60 T5. It is throwing codes: P0305, P0304,P0300. I replaced the spark plugs and the coil packs. The codes are still there and it runs very poorly. The check engine light is on and the car says,"Reduce speed or shift up". This just started happening, but for a while the belt tensioner would squeal at start up. I am not sure if a bad tensioner could cause misfires, but I thought I would throw it out there. The AC isn't very good now either.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
3/22/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello David,

Misfire on adjacent cylinders, generally head gasket failure.

Can you do a compression test please, all spark plugs out?

Your tensioner noise is because of the misfiring.

Gary

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
eric remington

Do you want a list of possible causes of misfires or would you like me to assist you find and repair the problem s?

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

I am ASE certified in advanced engine performance

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to figure out what is causing the issue, so I can correct it.
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

o​k are you willing to perform testing at my lead in order to accomplish this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but within reason.
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

if you have any limitations, during the course of testing, you may inform me and I will try to find an alternate method to find data needed

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

Any testing that I ask you to perform is nothing that I would not be willing to perform myself. Now I don't know your skill level and what tools and equipment you possess...make sense?

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

D​o you have a full function scanner able to display data, trouble codes and ability to access multiple modules that vehicle has? If not do you have any other scan tool of lesser degree that can access at least power train control module? do you own a test light, noid light logic probe , multimeter ? list any of the above please

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

fu​el pressure tester, compression tester, vaccum gauge...if you don't have these items we will work around them. Willing ness makes the way. a positive attitude and a willingness to locate the problem thru a process fo elimination can bring results...are you with me?

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

many things can cause misfires...so in order to determine cause of problem s we must test areas of potential cause. this may take time...do you wish to proceed?

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

F​ro example having a scanner may help give vital information but may not reveal the entirety of problem. but it may help one to proceed down a correct diagnostic path

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

I​f you have some diagnostic items listed that is fine if you have none fine I just want to know the best approach. most of these items we can get around so if you don't have any of these or only some that's ok

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

So how would you like to proceed? I need y0ur input in order to help you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I only have a basic ODBII code reader, but I can get loaner tools fro the auto store. No smoke coming from the tail pipe. My son put in a K&N air filter and he had the muffler remover and they installed a straight pipe. I am not sure if that could have messed with the system.
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

ok so when did problem start? out of blue? or did you you work on vehicle or someone else? does your code reader have the ability to get data? probably not...ok you have tried coils.. and misfire consistent.? do this ....place a tall long screwdriver or similar apparatus such as a coat hanger and listen to injectors and see if you can hear a consistent clicking ,opening and closing of injectors, compare working cylinders with non working...itll be like a tic tic ...so the first step in our diagnostic process. hold the apparatus up to your ear and vibration/noise will transfer thru the tool to your ear may even be able to feel the vibration from injector opening and closing. injectors are provided battery power on one wire while the other wire is grounded via an electronic pulse

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

you can buy steth ascope for ten bucks I own one but I probably use it more than you so you don't have to have one but nice to have

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

let me know if you don't hear injectors opening closing (clicking noise-very apparent) noise. this doesn't mean that the injector is putting the correct amount of fuel in cylinder or not... but it does tell us whether or not the injector is opening or closing

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

I​f we know that the injector is not firing then we know that is an area of focus for further testing

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He did the air filter and muffler about 2 months ago. The misfires started this week. I have a stethoscope, so I can listen for the injectors. Where are they located?
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

o​n the fuel rail going into the cylinders on intake manifold. two wires going into each injector

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still at work, but my son turned the car on and noticed a black liquid coming from the exhaust that smells like gas.
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

ok well listen for those injectors

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 30 days ago

DO YOU STILL REQUIRE ASSISTANCE?

Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 29 days ago

HELLO

Volvo Mechanic: Enes, VOLVO Master Technician replied 27 days ago
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

what did you replace on exhaust catalytic converter also or just rear muffler ? when you clear codes what comes back

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician