Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

None of the three electronic keys we have for our 2007 Volvo…

Customer Question
None of the three...

None of the three electronic keys we have for our 2007 Volvo S40 will open the trunk or the doors. This happened suddenly this morning. I was able to use the metal part of one key to open the driver's door, and set off the alarm, and then I was able to start and move the car. All three keys suddenly failed for remote access to the locked doors. Do I need new key batteries, or is there something wrong with the receiving system of the car? I cannot take it in to a local Volvo dealer until next week.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

I can lock and unlock the driver's door only with the metal part of the key. The electronic keys won't even cause the lights to flash when I try to press the "open door" button. All three keys worked perfectly last night.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I have called Volvo Cars of Walnut Creek CA and will either drive the car there or have it towed there Monday morning early for diagnosis and, hopefully, repair. It seems to me that the electronic receiving system in the car has suddenly failed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. The service advisor I talked to said he doubted that the button batteries in all three keys would suddenly fail all at once.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
3/21/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I understand your issue, and the service advisor is correct. The fact the all three keys stopped functioning at once, lets you know that the keys will not be the issue. The issue in this case, is going to be an issue with the central locking unit on this vehicle. There are fuses under the hood, and on the inside of the vehicle that you can inspect to be sure that they are not the issue. If none of these fuses are blown, then the central locking unit(or CEM) will be the cause. Just a moment, please, while I retrieve some information.

I doubt that any of the fuses inside the vehicle will be blown, but you will be check 81, 82, 83, and 63 in the inside fuse box. On the outside, you will be checking 3, 4 and 18. #3 would be the most likely cause. If none of the fuses are blown, then you know that you will need to have the CEM replaced. This component is actually the inside fuse box, and the control for the keyless entry is commanded by this component.

There is also a TSB on this issue. I am attaching this TSB along with the replacement information for this component, just in case.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician