Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

What should the compression test number be for a 1991 B230…

What should the compression...

What should the compression test number be for a 1991 B230 engine be?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Automatic 80,000 mi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to determine condition prior to purchase

3/20/2018
internal88
internal88, Mechanic

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am Brandon.

Here is the engine compression reference.

Min value 0.9 MPa (128 psi)

Max difference 0.2 MPa (28 psi)

Please rate me positive, Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is the number on a new engine?

128 psi

internal88
internal88, Mechanic
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Your answer is completely erroneous. The actual compression test number is ***** Yes the engine is stock and no there is no carbon buildup. A refund is in order as the answer was of no value

128 psi that I gave you is the minimum value. Your result is in the normal range.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I also asked what the number should be on a new engine to which you also replied 128psi which can't be correct. A drop from 195/200psi to 128psi would in fact show an engine that was in serious need of overhaul!
internal88
internal88
internal88, Mechanic