Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2005 xc90 won't start. It has been 4 days now:( When the…

Customer Question
My 2005 xc90 won't start...
My 2005 xc90 won't start. It has been 4 days now:( When the problem this is how it happened. The car started and immediately shut off, tried again and it started and immediately shut off again. Tried again and it would only turn over, it had gas, I pulled the coils and checked for spark and there was spark. I put a new air filter in so that's not the problem either. I tried and tried and put a charger on it to ensure the battery didn't go dead. It sat for a day and I tried the next day and still just turned over. Let it sit another day and it started again for about 1 second and shut off again. A few thing I have noticed out of the ordinary, the information window says break failure stop safely, also says airbag failure. Another thing I noticed was the tachometer was jumping a little but that could just be the motor turning over. The closest Volvo dealer where we bought it closed and now the closest one is 40 miles away so that will be a huge tow bill:/ In the past the immobilizer had shown up in the window and didn't start but taking the key out and trying again started immediately. About 2 or 3 times the the window said the alarm had been triggered but that was over a year ago and don't think it has anything to do with this but thought I would mention it just incase. It was random when it happened and hasn't happened for awhile. This no start just happened out of the blue with no warning.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Ironmike, ASE Master Technician & T2 diesel replied 5 months ago
Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Technician & T2 diesel

greetings,

Can you hear the fuel pump buzz with the ignition key on engine off ? (should come on of a few seconds)

Lets make sure the fuel pump is coming on and we have pressure. If you hear the pump we can check pressure at the fuel rail. Let me know what you find.

fuel pump can be replaced from the inside, under the back seats