Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Check engine light was on the code indicated the rear o2…

Customer Question
Check engine light was...

Check engine light was on the code indicated the rear o2 sensor needed replaced, replaced it then new code came up indicating front O2 sensor needed replaced. Then new code indicating catalytic converter need replaced that was done as well. So both O2 sensors replace with Volvo OEM parts and the converter replayed with magnaflow OEM type converter, the complete converter with the pipe. Check engine light is still on. All the O2 sensor conections were rechecked. Trying to figure out what the problem is

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on. after resetinging it comes back on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2005 S40 T5 AWD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No My mechanic that specializes In working on BMW, Volvo and Merceders. the codes are for the exhast I purchased the O2 senors from a Volvo dearleship the converter is Magflow and is listed as OEM type. I used the cars VIN muber when I ordered the parts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So, since everything in line that can be done has been, I'm wondering if the computer is the problem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you post the fault code number here that was set with this issue?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I no longer have the codes. I do however, have the Volvo codes listing and when I looked the codes listed the first time they indicated the rear O2 Sensor required replacing, The computer was reset, Then a new set of codes came up and when I referanced those they indicated the Forward sensor needed replace. Computer was reset and new set of codes indicate catalyst used, so the converter was replaced. new codes which I have not seen yet. My mechanic thinks its a computer update requirement. FYI, I'm the original owner, the car has 127K this is the 1st time the O2 sensors and converter have been replaced,

O.k., depending on the code set now it is possible the engine computer has an issue internally and needs to be replaced or just needs updated programming to resolve this issue.But I have also seen issues with the wiring that runs from the sensors to the computer.I would have the oxygen sensor wiring and connections checked for any issues.If any issues are found they will need to be repaired to resolve this fault here.

If no wiring issues are found and the codes that are now set are related to the oxygen sensors again I suspect a computer fault and would see if a dealer can reprogram it to resolve this issue and if not then it may need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician