Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have lost my Volvo car key. It is a 1994 4 door model.

Customer Question
I have lost my...

I have lost my Volvo car key. It is a 1994 4 door model. Where can I get a key made?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

Sorry but no, wish I did.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

Model 4D, 1994

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

If it is possible for me to do it I will. I was told that Triple AAA can't make a key for you, that's where I started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thanks for your help.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
3/16/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

You have a few options at this point, the first option is, call your local dealer, and ask them if they can cut a key from the VIN number, they likely can not, but it doesn't hurt to ask, second option, When the vehicle was sold it came with a key code. this is probably long gone from inside the vehicle, but if you know where the selling dealer is, it's possible, (not likely but possible) that they may still have this key code on file at the dealer who sold the vehicle. If neither of those options work, you could call a local mobile automotive locksmith, he can possibly code the door lock cylinder and get the key code to cut you a new key, and if that doesn't work, you would have to get the ignition switch and door lock cylinder out of a used car at the salvage yard and replace those items, which is the last resort as it would require the most labor and be most expensive. My advice is to first call the local volvo dealership and ask them if they can cut a key by your VIN number, and if not if they had a locksmith in your area they would recommend. Your keys are not coded or programmed so if you cut the key right, it works. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician