Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My son left the volvo c70 top up half way and turned car…

My son left the...

My son left the volvo c70 top up half way and turned car off. I'm getting a top malfunction error and it won't operate. worked perfectly before he did this

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

50k no

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your C70?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Simply pressing up/down button on top

3/15/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Have you seen a "roof failure see manual" message displayed in the instrument cluster ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it alternates when I press and hold buttons with "top malfunction service required"

Alright, If you press and hold the button till you get the message, then press and hold the opposite button, does the top move at all then?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Doesn't move

Alright, key off, and out, open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable off the battery for about 10 minutes, reinstall the negative cable and try it again. Let me know if that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We tried it but didn't let it set for 10 minutes. I'll try it now and let you know what happens.

Alright, sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just finished. Still no reaction from the hard top upon pressing the close or open button.

Alright, out in the under hood fuse box, we need to check power to fuses 11, 15, 16, and 18. Do you have a volt meter or 12 volt test light by chance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey there I am not entirely sure if we do. My dad just left and he's the one who knows where all the tools are but he will be home around 9:15. Can I get back to you then?

Yes, if all those fuses are hot, then the CRM or Convertible Roof Module supplies all the power to the hydraulic motors, so unless you have Volvo's VADIS scan tool system to communicate with the CRM, there really isn't much more you can do. now there is a hydraulic release cord under the drivers side back seat, that you can pull, but you need two people holding the roof on both sides, once you pull that cord you can close or open the top. But if you don't feel comfortable doing that, then I suggest taking it to a volvo shop or volvo dealer and having them re calibrate the end stops of the roof or replacing whatever sensor has failed. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All the voltage checked out and all fuses worked. We used the release cable underneath the rear seat and managed to get the top folded into the trunk. After opening trunk we pressed the lift top button and a couple of "hooks" on the frame opened up but the top didn't lift (like you were going to get something out of the trunk while top is down). When trying to lift top with up botton we are receiving a message "Top Unlocked" and hear light noise - like hydraulics ? but the top doesn't raise. No other error messages. Any suggestions?

I can say with confidence that it has a hard fault in it, stored in the CRM, and likely will need the end stops recalibrated. I don't think there really is much more your going to be able to do with it unless you have Volvo's VADIS software and scan tool. I don't believe it's going to need anything major though as it was working fine until the key was cut off, It will just need to be recalibrated and have the end stops set and it should be fine, but I don't know of anyway to do that without Vadis, and I don't think there is a way.

Shouldn't be more than a couple hours labor to do that. and probably only take about 30 minutes really.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, I think you are correct. I'm a DIYer and hate taking cars into the shop but on this vehicle it is probably needed.Thanks for your help.

Yes, the Vadis scan tool and software is needed in this issue I'm afraid. Thank you. If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician