Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Shifting from reverse to drive and gear shift stuck in

Customer Question
Shifting from reverse to...

Shifting from reverse to drive and gear shift stuck in neutral. Won’t shift out of gear and key won’t come out

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Transmission is 10 years old. What is the brake switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Volvo?

S40

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything other than trying to get gear to shift. What is a brake switch?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Volvo
3/15/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

What I have seen cause this several times before in the past is the shifter cable.It seizes up in its sheathing suddenly and causes the gear selector to stick like your seeing here.To help determine that this is the cause the shifter cable needs disconnected from the shifter under the console.Then the shifter is seen if it will then shift.If it does then the shifter cable assembly has to be replaced.This can run around $120 to $150 for the cable in some cases and about 1.5 hours labor to have replaced.You may have to have it towed with it stuck the way it is now so the cable can be checked and replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete