Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have volvo xc90 which got locked all of a sudden with

Customer Question
I have volvo xc90...

I have volvo xc90 which got locked all of a sudden with message immobolizer what can i do on that

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

100000 no, not before

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your XC90?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I got the battery mechanic to check on the battery. The battery is new and fully charged rest I just parked the car. I don't know what to do now will it reset itself or what

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Volvo
Hi. My car has stopped starting the engine and is giving me an error Immobilizer
volvo xc90 2012
3/15/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Unfortunately when the immobilizer engages this disables the starting system.This can be a fault with the key/remote itself needing to be replaced or a component like an immobilizer sensor that reads the key at fault.You can try to lock and unlock the doors with the key or remote to see if it then starts as this sometimes works but if this does not work you will have to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set then those codes are then diagnosed to then locate and repair the component needing replaced to correct this issue.This is the only way to know for sure which component needs to be replaced to resolve this fault.Unfortunately, until it is diagnosed and repaired it will continue to act up like this here unless the component acting up is intermittently acting up then letting it sit a few hours or more may allow it to restart but the issue will usually come back again until it is repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

how long should i keep it off and then try to start it again. Can I use the second Key I have for the car

Try the second key.If it works to start it then your first key is the cause and needs replaced.If it does not work then let it sit for a couple hours and then try and start it.If this does not work then you will need to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set then those codes can be diagnosed to then locate and repair the component needing replaced to correct this issue.

Thanks Pete