Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 s70 low mile car sometimes starts dies then hard to…

2000 s70 low mile...

2000 s70 low mile car sometimes starts dies then hard to start ant ring was replaced new key

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yup car runs great,just sometimes this happens

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a Volvo guy helper

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Fuelpump relay,cleaned throttle,ant ring

3/13/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Does it smoke and seems like it spins over really fast when you crank it when it acts up like this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

So it cranks normally but fails to start when this happens correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
replace ant ring and fuel pump relay,stays fine many times ,sometimes starts dies,then very hard to get started

Have you checked codes after one of these no start conditions? if so, does it set anything ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
only 720a when it happens,seems that's normal to happen with no start
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
from what I read

Alright, Have you had the ECM out of it before? on the passenger side inner fender well?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no not yet

Alright, I've seen corrosion on the bottom of the ECM pins cause this before. They get green corrosion on the pins and it can cause it, loose pins in the actual antenna ring itself can cause it as well. It's likely a loose connection, but I have had to replace some ECM's before as the corrosion and damage the pins if it's bad enough, then even re-pinning the connector doesn't fix it.

since your's isn't a constant issue though, I suspect it's not too bad. but it is something I would check as the ECM connector is out under the hood and somewhat exposed to elements.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I will check,i was thinking pins at ant ring or immobilizer,thanks

Absolutely, Thank you. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks again

Absolutely, If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need any additional help just let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician