Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Check engine light. Stays on, 2013 S60 T5, 62K miles. Have…

Check engine light Mechanic's...

Check engine light

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on, 2013 S60 T5, 62K miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything, just came on this morning, Im currently at work, I usually work on my own cars, but this is my first volvo Purchased used 2 months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There has been a maintenance message since I bought it, figured it could be reset but I haven't taken the time

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Thanks.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

You need to stop by the local parts store on way home and have it scanned and retrieve fault codes and based on these fault we can pul up a pin point troubleshoot and be accurate

if the car is still running fine usually emission related, like oxygen sensor, gas cap , evap vacum line ,etc .

how is the car driving ?

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

The car is running fine, if I can I will fix it myself, really depends on what it is. Could the maintenance message trigger the check engine light if not reset over and extended period of time?

no it will not trigger the check engine light for maintenance.

if you feel it is a glitch, like you did not turn gas cap enough times to hear 3 clicks or weak battery etc ,try resetting it , but if u do have like advance auto or auto zone , be nice to know what the fault # so we are accurate

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .
2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )
3- Wait 30 min
4- Close all doors and trunk
5- Reconnect Battery Positive First
6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door
Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock
7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

If we have a misfire or some major the check engine light will flash ,that is when you do not want to continue on driving it

but since no effect on car performance ,most likely minor ,like emission related ?

there charcoal canister box at fuel tank is common , the vacuum lines, if emission, related, but i m guessing here with no faults

Okay, there is an Autozone not too far from my house, I will try to get by there later this evening.

There is TSB bulletin on the purge valve also

click on link to view tsb bulletin to read

Sounds good ,Read below how to get back in touch with me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Will do. Thanks.

Purge valve location, and RR

2013 Volvo S60 T5 AWD

L5-2.5L Turbo VIN 61 B5254T12

Parts and Labor

• Vehicle
  • Powertrain Management
  • Emission Control Systems
  • Evaporative Emissions System
  • Canister Purge Control Valve
  • Parts and Labor

Parts and Labor

Parts InformationOEM PartPrice

Purge Control Valve

Purge Control Valve(###) ###-####$45.28

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace

Purge Control ValveB0.00.6

Sounds good,let me know

Chad Farhat
Bought a $20.00 code reader at Walmart, worked great, retrieved, then cleared the code, P2421 - Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve stuck Open, for now the code has not returned, drove at least an hour this morning, leaning towards gas cap or glitch, but I guess only time will reveal.

DTC P2421 troubleshot needed

Does this indicate the fuel cap is not the issue?
Attached.

no this indicate a diagnostic pump issue ,no a gas cap

click below in case u could not open the file i sent earlier

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jhook1398/9b6046be-ede3-47ed-85d7-ee7fd99367cf_1.pdf

If the code returns: Your recommendation would be to replace or clean? Do you have removal/installation documentation?Thanks.

I would clean first since it want cost you nothing and the labor is only 0.4 hrs, oem it is $188 ,online u find it cheaper

now if the valve seized or pump stopped then u have to replace

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW RR PROCEDURE AND READ BELOW PART # NEEDED

Parts Information OEM Part Price

Detection Pump

Detection Pump Part #31392490 $188.08

Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard

Replace

Detection Pump, R&R 0.4 labor hours

let me know how you come out :)

Thanks.

welcome