Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Can I give you the check engine code? P0171 fuel air ratio…

Customer Question
Can I give you...

Can I give you the check engine code?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

P0171 fuel air ratio too lean

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Volvo Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2005 Volvo v50

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V50 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I went to o'reilleys and got the code read he said may be the fuel filter came here to see if it is accessible by myself if its under things ill go to a shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is a whining noise at low low speeds or idle coming from the front changes slightly when turning hard they day before I drove the vehicle very aggressively 90 mph for long stretches flooring it at times

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Volvo
3/13/2018
Volvo Mechanic: VolvoDoc, Independent Volvo shop owner replied 4 months ago
VolvoDoc
VolvoDoc, Independent Volvo shop owner

Ok, so those P017x faults can be difficult to nail down if they're not combined with other fault codes (oxygen sensor, air mass meter, and so on). Usually this means that there is some sort of air leak downstream of the air mass meter. Typically a fuel filter, unless seriously clogged, will not cause these faults.

In most cases, it's a failed air-oil separator, or what's called an air trap. Here are the work steps.

Have the car idling with hood up.

1. Remove the engine dipstick or oil cap. If the noise goes away, the problem is excessive vacuum in the crankcase.

2. Replace the oil trap/oil filter housing located under the intake manifold near the front of the engine.

3. There is a recall on certain models or an extended warranty on all other models. Probably worth calling the dealer with your VIN to check this.

4. After repairing, if the codes keep setting, reset the Engine Control Module (ECM) adaptive data by disconnecting both battery cables and touching together for 15 minutes.

Please let me know if I can offer further information.