Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 volvo xc70...started fine this AM...went to gas station…

2004 volvo xc70...started fine...

2004 volvo xc70...started fine this AM...went to gas station to air up the tires...tried to start car again and the engine fired and revved and then died. Got same result after repeated attempts. Starts, revs, then dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It's always been a little thirsty..I must say that it sat unused for about a month while I was traveling.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I hope to fix it myself, but will take it to a mechanic if I can't\

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Are you getting any messages on the instrument cluster. like "START PREVENTED TRY AGAIN". or "IMMOBILIZER". thank you.

No messages on the DIM

Alright, I think it is probably a fuel supply issue because it sounds like spark to the plugs is present, and the timing belt is ok or it wouldn't fire up at all. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge by chance?

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge. I can say that I replaced the fuel pump less than a year ago. If I purchased a fuel pressure gauge, how would I use it?
I have also heard that the electronic throttle module can die, or it could be a fuel pump relay, or even a clogged cat converter.

Open the hood, and look at the end of the fuel rail, there is a schrader valve with a cap on it on the end of the fuel rail.

I doubt the converter is clogged enough to make it not even idle. ETM or Throttle Module is a possibility.

I am familiar with that valve.

On the very end of the fuel rail, you see a 4 wire pressure sensor? the fuel pressure sensor?

Somewhat to the rear of the schrader valve? And a bit below it?
Mine is somewhat different. The schrader valve is on the driver's side. I do not see a sensor on the passenger side of the rail.

OK, then you have the older style system. was the check engine light on prior to it not starting?

There was no check engine light.
Is checking the fuel pressure possible if I can't get it to start?

Alright, the first thing I can suggest at this point is to check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve. and check the codes to see if anything is stored or not. there is a fuel pump relay on the CEM. you can try to swap it with another relay beside it. it's up under the dash, and it's in this position.

Yes, should have 40 psi, we need to know whether it's there or not. should be 40 psi with key on.

you could borrow a fuel pressure gauge from a local auto parts store. they usually have one in their tool loaner section.

I will try that. Thank you! Which position did you say that relay was in?

If you want to try this, there is a fuel pump relay on the CEM up under the dash on the drivers side. swap it with a relay beside it .

Check the codes too. it may point to something. Let me know what you find there. Check back with me in a little while.

Will do!
Any luck,?

We're you able to check the fuel pressure? thank you.

Sorry, I just saw this. I wasn't able to get to the parts store in time. I hope to get it done in the next night or so.

Alright, thank you. If you have no fuel pressure, pull up the back seat on the passenger side, and check for power on the BLUE wire at the fuel pump connector when cranking.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you, I appreciate it very much.

Well, I got a chance to check the fuel pressure and the engine codes. No codes, and fuel pressure is fine...between 40 and 50 PSI. Think it's the ETM? Could it be something else? Is there a way to diagnose for ETM problem prior to replacement?
Unplug the mass airflow sensor and see if it will start and idle then. Also, take the top cover off the engine get a spark tester and see if it's got spark when cranking my not have any spark to the plugs. If you don't have a spark tester you can use a spark plug that's currently in the engine.
What does it mean if it starts while MAF is unplugged? What does it mean if it doesn't?
If it will idle with the maf unplugged, but quits running as soon as you plug the maf in, it's prob. A bad maf sensor. But I kind of doubt it because usually they'll set a code for it. with the key on make sure you have power at one of the wires at the fuel injector with a test light or volt meter. check your fuses underneath the hood. Did it shut off while driving or is it fine when you parked at and just wouldn't start back up?
Or was it fine when you parked it last, sorry I'm only on cell phone access at the moment.
Fine when I parked it and wouldn't start back up.
Good news!! It ran with the MAF sensor unplugged! Could cleaning it fix it or should I just get a new one?

Unplug it and plug it in about 5 times and see if it helps. could be the connector pins dirty. But if it runs without it plugged in and then stops running as soon as you plug it in (Plug it in while the engine is idling and see if it quits running as soon as you plug it in) Then I would try cleaning it first, then if it didn't help try another MAF. I like rockauto.com for parts. A lot cheaper than local parts stores and better quality in my opinion.

It ran for a while then quit. I pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned everything with MAF cleaner. It still wouldn't run. Just ordered a new one through Rock Auto.

Alright, I believe that will fix it. Thank you.

Hello Again,I got my new MAF sensor from Rock Auto, and I installed it and plugged it in, and when I attempted to start the car, it ran roughly and then died. I disconnected the MAF sensor again just to be sure, and it ran just fine. Do I need to reset the EMC after installing the new MAF sensor? If so, how do I do that?
Disconnect the battery negative cable for about 10 minutes and try that.
I tried it for a half an hour. No help. Is there an involved process for resetting the ECU/ECM?
Clearing any codes out essentially resets it, to reset anything else in the ECM requires Volvos Vadis system and software. After putting it back together, does it set any codes now after it dies?
I will have to check for codes. Is the VADIS software reload/reset something fairly simple for a VADIS equipped shop to do? Is that expensive?

Actually Volvo dealerships started giving out one free software upgrade for the ECM and TCM not too long ago. If the dealer is a "preferred" dealer. As a way to get customers back in the shop. Most independents don't have the capability to do upgrades on Volvo's because they just don't do enough of them to warrant investing in that equipment. Unless you live in a pretty busy city and an independent Volvo shop has the subscription to the volvo server and has that in place. You can reset adaptives for the transmission and check codes and monitor sensors in real time with most high end scan tools which most shops likely do have. But I doubt you will find an independent that will be able to upgrade the software to the latest from Volvo except at the dealer. I would suggest calling the closest dealer and asking them if they offer a free software upgrade.

I have no qualms about going to the dealer if they are free software updates, but they are pretty far away, and I would have to drive the car there without the MAF sensor connected, which I suppose I could do if I had to. I know of a couple of very close local independent shops, however, that specialize in Volvos, and I'm almost certain they do have all the software. I will confirm tomorrow. I live in St. Louis, so we do have some specialists here.

Alright, Does it run well with the sensor unplugged? almost like normal? if you plug in the sensor clear the codes, I would see what code it set first after it shut off.

It does run basically normal without the MAF sensor plugged in. I will check the codes when I next reconnect the battery. Leaving the battery disconnected does clear the codes, right?

usually it will, unless it's a hard fault, which will come right back into it as soon as you turn the key on or the engine fires up.