Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

I have just taken on an old Volvo C30 work car. The previous

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i have just taken on an old Volvo C30 work car. The previous driver has left the company. I need to fill the tank. I can open the tank dover but I can't take the roun cap off. Is there a little trick I'm not aware of? Thaks
JA: What year is your C30?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your C30 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've just tried opening the cap by turning it round to the left and to the right. I can't see any other buttons or locks to undo.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it. Very simple problem I hope. Maybe I'm just being really thick!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

The gas cap is likely stripped. you can try grabbing the sides of it with a pair of channel locks, sometimes you break them into pieces getting them off like that though and you have to get a new gas cap, but you can get a gas cap at any local auto parts store and they aren't that much. But that is what is happening, the gas cap tightens and then clicks when it's tight enough so it has a type of ratcheting mechanism built into it, sometimes it fails and doesn't grab the cap to loosen it the way it should. Grab the sides of it with channel locks and you can remove it that way. Thank you and let us know if you have any further questions.