Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 xc90 5cyl awd, the awd is not working, I

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 xc90 5cyl awd, the awd is not working, I replaced the fuse (not the problem) I read that you can test the pump by hooking it up to 12v, I did and it did not work so I know I need a pump. I also checked the output from the control unit to the pump with the car running. I got 9.5 volts. Is this the right output to the pump or do I need control unit also or maybe a temp/ pressure sensor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

I have not removed the control unit to get to the sensor. but wanted to know if the voltage of 9.5 to the pump is ok, I dont want to replace the control unit big $$$$

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes my original message says what I have done, I also do have the skid system service light on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Volvo
3/8/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Enes, VOLVO Master Technician replied 5 months ago
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Most time if fuse is good you test with scan tool to be sure . But to avoid diagnostic fee I would make sure drive shaft spins when is in drive if drive shaft spins going to rear different but nothing is moving on rear wheel that replace oil pump for awd