Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Passenger side mirror glass fell off, the heatinin element…

Passenger side mirror glass...

Passenger side mirror glass fell off, the heatinin element has started to pull away from frame. I purchased a replacement but am unable to find any good reference on how to replace. Tips on removing old frame and replacement?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No cooling issues.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Element?

Not element 2008 Volvo S80 T6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Element yourself? What have you tried so far?

Who are you talking to?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Passenger side mirror glass fell off, got replacement wonder about R&R of old frame. Cannot find any good resources.

3/8/2018
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Are you wanting to remove and replace the entire mirror assembly or just the glass itself?

Let me know, thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just the glass, the assembly is intact, the glass came loose and basically fell off. The heating element film is still attached to frame but almost off plastic frame. Ordered new glass and cannot find any good R&R information. Should not be difficult but don’t want to screw it up.

O.k., Volvo's service manual can be vague on this repair.Pictures but no wording.Below is what the service manual shows for replacing it.Basically, it clips onto the motor and a flat tool is used to pop off the frame to remove it and unplug it then you can plug in the new glass and put it center on the motor and use the palm of your hand flat on the glass to massage it to lock onto the motor.In the link below you will see what is offered for repair into.It should pop off with a flat tool or wedge and then push on to lock onto the motor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ycreyuz2qqe3qe/mi-03-08.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
Pete, Technician