Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Key stuck in ignition. Key not worn or damaged trying to…

Customer Question
Key stuck in ignition ...

Key stuck in ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Key not worn or damaged trying to help my wife from remote location

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2006 s40

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Steering wheel can be turned ... yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else ok

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Volvo
key stuck in ignition.
trying to help my wife. she's at our home garage. can't get it out.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
please call me
are you or someone able to call us?
need help.(###) ###-####
is anyone there and/or working on our problem?
NOT impressed with this online service no responses :(
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/7/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. Let me see what I can pull up to help

Okay
Volvo Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

You may have a sticking or broken shift button. With the car in park, pull the button on the back of the shifter out as much as you can and see if the key will come out. It is common for them to crack and stick. If it is just sticking, you can try blowing it out with compressed air and lubricating it with WD40 or similar. This is usually not a problem with the column lock. If the shifter mechanism is jammed not in the park position it can cause the key not to release

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson