Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

2007 volvo XC 90 4.4l sport. Over heated, died and dumped…

2007 volvo XC 90 4.4l...
2007 volvo XC 90 4.4l sport. Over heated, died and dumped anti freeze all over the place.
Just purchased the car 12 days ago everything had been fun until today. Pulled the codes for giggles while waiting for it to cool down and got a slew of misfire codes I assume from the engine being hot and stalling. The fan did not sound healthy when I popped the hood. What am I looking for?
1/19/2018
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** sounds like the headgasket is blown, have you checked the oil and seen if there is any coolant in the oil?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pulled the oil fill cap and no indication of coolant. Pulled he dip stick and don’t see any foam of discoloration of any kind.

have you pulled the plugs and seen if any of hem have coolant on them?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I have not. Just topped it off and got it started to get home.

ok, has it overheated since you refilled it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did try to use the ac and it just blowed warm air.

but did it overheat on the way home?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it has not. Just pulled in and letting it idle like it did when o we headed
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Heated

ok, then the head gasket may be ok, did you say the cooling fan is noisey?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It sounds ok now but it sounded odd when I first popped the hood
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Drive it all night for Uber and did not have any issues at all

when it was overheating, was it at idle or when cruising?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Idle

then there is most likely a bad fan motor, if it was making noise when it overheated. when you are cruising, you dont need the fan, as air is flowing over the radiator, but when going slow or idling, there is no air flowing over it and it needs the fan, I would replace the cooling fan motor,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s what I was thinking as well. That has a relay I think also that can be symptomatic of the same issue. ?

Yes, but it will not make the fan motor noisey, if it was noisey, then its a bad motor,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,thanks,Tim

Is there a reason you wont rate me? I do not get paid unless you do?

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH