Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2013volvo s60 t5 jumpe timing and bent all the valves. Had…

2013volvo s60 t5 jumpe timing and...
2013volvo s60 t5
jumpe timing and bent all the valves. Had the valves replaced at a machine shop. The removed the sprocket (vvt) from the cam shafts. I have no alaiment marks or reference to put them back. I have the cams in place and locked with the tool. cylinder number one is on TDC with timing mark in the corect place on the crank. Not sure how to set the cam sprocket and lock them down in the right place? I assume it has dual VVT
1/16/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

to set the cams in the right place before fitting the pullies then you have to remove the end caps on the other end of the cylinder head and line up the slots on the rear of the cams with the head cam cover joint face

see the attached image

rear of cam alignment image

and I've also attached the basic cam timing data, which should be useful

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

I am not sure you understood my question correctly. I have the cams installed in the new head with the valve cover installed. I already have the cams aligned and the cam holding tool installed at that end of the head. this puts the slots in the cam end in the correct location. What I do not understand is how to line up the sprockets on the other end since they spin 360 degrees around the cam. I know I can align their notch up with the notches of the plastic cover.
does this plus the mark aligned with the crank set the timing? I see some instructional video of other volvos that talk about a spring loaded vvt sprocket. I do not think these are. correct me if I am wrong.
Also noticed your instructions are for an older volvo and some timing belt tensioners turn clockwise and some turn counter clockwise. mine has an arrow on it that shows clock wise but I am not sure how far.

Hello

ok thanks for the extra information

if the cams are in the right position with the cam locking tool, then to be honest it doesn't really matter where you bolt the cam pullies up

as long as the cam locking tool is in place and the crank is in the right place when the pullies are fitted and the belt is fitted then the engine will run just fine

however for future belt changes its good to line up the pulley marks with the marks on the cover just to save using the rear cam locking tool

as to setting the belt tension then there should still be alignment marks to set it with?

Also noticed your instructions are for an older volvo and some timing belt tensioners turn clockwise and some turn counter clockwise. mine has an arrow on it that shows clock wise but I am not sure how far. I know they are an eccentric tensioner but I am not sure which way to turn it before locking it down. It has an arrow pointing clockwise. I was thinking to set it at about the 10 o'clock position then turn it clockwise until tight. does that sound correct?

Hello

you should turn in the ihe arrow direction to set the tension and they were some little 'gates' on the tensioner to show when the it was in the right window

this video may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_zH8g8Fow

Matt, Engineer