Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 s60. The highbeams work, and the low beams…

I have a 2009 s60...
I have a 2009 s60. The highbeams work, and the low beams work while the car is powered but not started on. I had one bad connection with my right lowbeam and resulted in a melted connector for the bulb. I replaced this, however, the right low beam does not work; the left side will turn on while the car is acc, but shuts off after starting the car after 1-2 seconds. leaving me with no low beams. Where do i start looking?
1/16/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

We need to do some electrical testing with a voltmeter to figure this one out. If you have this tool, let me know.

If not I can help as best I can.

i do have a volt meter

Here is your wire diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pti9ka3fzn8ag8l/s60head.pdf?dl=0

No need to check the headlight ground since the other lights on the same ground works.

The low beams are powered by the blue/yellow wire, confirm this wire is not getting power with the low beams commanded on.

At the top of the diagram. With the engine running confirm all fuses listed hot all the time are in fact powered.

This should boil down to a faulty central electronics module. A scan tool is needed to confirm that after these electrical tests.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

The light is getting power, and the fuse isn't blowing, secondly the left (drivers side) low beam shuts off after 1-2 seconds of starting the car's engine. keep in mind the high beams work.

If the bulb is getting power and ground then it should be working. A bulb not working but getting power and ground indicates bad bulb, but a bulb will not burn intermediate. Car running, tell me all the wire colors to the headlight assembly that are powered with the low beams on.

Before the splice test at those wires to see which are powered and which are not.

the yellow is powered and the two black are not.
The yellow wire connects to the daytime running light, which has a blue wire from the harness. I've blown two fuses and my battery is draining.
the yellow wire is getting power. but quickly blows the fuse

This sounds like something that requires in-person addressing. I will opt out

UPDATE: SOLVED!!!
First, thank you to Chris for your help!
We concluded that there were multiple issues regarding both headlights. Initially it was propsed through online searching and as Chris suggested, to inspect a root cause. It was suspected that the CEM was the culprit regarding both headlights to be out. This was not the case!!!
background, as volvo is notoriously known for bad headlight sockets, mine was no exception. In fact, i had been putting off fixing the bad connector, which eventually resulted in a melted socket! I am assuming that there was a singular event that triggered both the melted sorted out socket (passenger side) as well as the driver side low beam to not work. In fact, there were multiple issues, resulting in multiple symptoms.
#1 BAD CONNECTOR- melted, effectively shorting out the fuse. In my attempt to replace the socket with a new one, i improperly reconnected and crossed the ground with the live wire, resulting in numerous blown fuses. The wiring diagram provided by Chris was extremely helpful in identifying our issue. Unfortunately, the wires in my headlamp were not color coded, which required us to individually check each wire with a voltmeter. While this process was time consuming, we were able to check voltage from numerous points: the fuse box to the socket, the fuse box to the harness, the harness to the socket, eventually identifying the correct live wire and ground.
#2 the driver side low beam had a bad filament. While the light would turn on while the key was in 'start' position. Once the car was turn on and the engine was running, the light would turn off after 1-2 seconds.Overall, It was assumed there was a singular root cause for both issues, that was not the case! However, up for debate is whether there was a singular event that resulted in both issues. Did the short and melting of the socket somehow result in a busted filament? Did the filament result in shorting out of the socket? idk. But after properly reconnecting the new socket and replacing both bulbs, i now have working headlamps!

Glad you found all the issues and fixed it.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician