Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Fuel gauge is volatile fluctuating up and down, rear locks…

Fuel gauge is volatile...

Fuel gauge is volatile fluctuating up and down, rear locks and truck not functioning with fob, erroneous cluster errors. May be Rear Electrnic Module?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

No. However, it works intermittently. I don't "think" that's the issue, paired with the erroneous warnings and fuel gauge issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2004 S60 2.4l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to my mechanic and he seemed to think it was the ECM, but doesn't have the equipment or expertise on foriegn repairs to be in a position to fix. Recommended taking it to dealer. Car is probably worth $2k and probably will cost close to that to repair at dealer if it is a module.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bulb position light failure, but headlamp bulb is fine, (they do go out at least a couple of times of year at random) the warning symbol light comes on, rear doors and will not unlock/open using fob. I don't want to spend more than the car is worth to repair.
1/15/2018
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately what has to be done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.

This may be more than one control unit/ecu at fault needing replaced.It is very possible the rear electronic control module is the cause.But the codes do have to be checked unfortunately to help locate the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
Pete, Technician