Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

My 1993 Volvo 240 Station Wagon has hard starting issues in…

Customer Question
My 1993 Volvo 240...

My 1993 Volvo 240 Station Wagon has hard starting issues in cold weather. After several (LOTS) of tries (10 minutes) it will finally start. Once the engine warms up it starts fine. I am getting error codes #2 1-2-3 and #6 2-2-4. I have checked to make sure the Coolant temperature sensor is working and it does. This all started when I removed the intake manifold to replace the Oil Separator and Flame trap.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

Yes, I disconnected the connector to the sensor and checked for continuity as well, near the firewall and the connector. I couldn't find the Ignition Control Module to verify it had continuity between the plug and the units cable.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 240 yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is a new error code. previously I was getting a #2 1-1-3, I found that the preheater hose was missing and the air box thermostat was bad. I added a new pre-heater hose and replaced the airbox thermostat. No #2 1-1-3 code any more. Now just the #2 1-2-3 and #6 2-2-4 and will not start in cold weather. I think if I can fix the 1-2-3, 2-2-4 code it will resolve the issue of starting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is all I have.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Volvo
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Prior to replacing the Oil Separator and Flame Trap there were no issues with the Coolant Temp Sensor.So far I have replaced:
1) Spark Plugs & Wires
2) Idle Air Control Valve
3) MAF Sensor
4) Air Box thermostat
5) Flame TrapCleaned:
1) Throttle BodyAdded:
1) Pre-heater hoseHad to rebuild the Diagnostic box, grommets were corroded and falling apart. May have swapped the 4 and 8 pins once. This could have been when the initial code of #2 1-2-3 #6 2-2-4 started.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We just bought the car. Were trying to get it to pass emissions. Now that is not an issue because in Georgia a vehicle 25 or older doesn't have to pass. 1993 Volvo 240 Wagon
1/8/2018
Volvo Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

I am sorry no one has responded yet. I know you must be thinking " I have been taken or this is a scam" Neither is the case. Sometimes there are more questions than we can get to and we just keep getting farther and farther behind. Sometimes what a customer asks, no experts online are confident their answer will be good enough. Is there any more information you can add to your concern or is there another concern you may have that we could answer instead?

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All of this started when I replaced the coolant temp sensor. I put the new one in and I get the error code #2 1-2-3. I have decided to put the old sensor back in and see if the error occurs again. Volvo are so sensitive .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tested both the old and new sensors and they seemed fine. Going to put back the old one.

Let me know those results and I will try to help at that point if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Chris,The issue was with the Coolant Temp Sensor. It tested fine at regular temps. However, it failed at temps near freezing and below. I put the original CTS back and everything is fine.

That's great, glad you got it resolved without needing to pay me from your deposit you paid to the website.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This was not your everyday problem. The CTS tested fine when I placed it under running cold water and warm water. Never thought to test it at freezing temperatures.

Good job, sorry you paid for help and were not able to get help soon enough.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the past access to this site has proven valuable. I have lost more money with timeshares. Thank you. As Arnold said, I'll be back!!

Glad we have helped prior but were not able to this time. Good job on getting it fixed.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician